Inactive users are unable to have issues created via email import

Will Dampney August 1, 2013

Due to employees moving to new teams, their access to Jira is revoked by disabling the 'Active' flag. (Though they are still in the 'jira-users' group).

Occasionally they provide feedback to our support email, but the problem is that despite being inactive, their email is rejected:

Reporter (jf078) does not have permission to create an issue. Message rejected.

Manually changing their email address seems like a dirty solution; is there any other way around this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2013

Um, "despite being inactive, their email is rejected". I think you mean "Because they are inactive, they should not, and do not, have rights to create issues, so their email is rejected". Which is the correct behaviour.

I don't quite know what to tell you here - do you want them to create the issues via email? If so, then make them active again. If not, then the system is behaving as I'd expect, and I don't know what the problem is?

Will Dampney August 6, 2013

Hi Nic, Thanks for your comment.

We're restricted by licence numbers unfortunately, so simply reenabling them is not possible at this stage.

One possibile scenario (that I believe is reasonable) is that inactive user's emails could be treated the same as non-user's emails - that is that the email handler applies the nominated 'default reporter' to the created issue, rather than flatly rejecting it.

Obviously that is not the case, and since we want to retain the history of user's activities I am investigating if there's work-arounds other than changing the Jira user's email addresses.

Roland Pfuhl July 9, 2015

I know this is an old question but I would like to know why this is the case also when I have enabled anonymous users to be able to create issues. It means that inactive users' emails are not picked up from the email account and therefore might go unoticed.

Suggest an answer