In a project, how to allow a user group to create/view/edit only their own tickets?

Sierra Chen April 5, 2017

I have a project, call it ACC for accounting. I have a user group called Account Managers. I need people in the group to be able to create/view/edit their own, and only their own individual, tickets. No one outside of the Account Managers group can view any tickets in this project.

I have a permission scheme set up where only a few admin users and the Account Managers can create tickets. In this permission scheme I've tested having the Account Managers group have the "Browse Projects" permission but when the group has it, they can view other people's tickets. And when they don't have it, they can't select the project in the "Create" menu and so can't create tickets.

I set up a security level scheme as well, with the ticket reporter and ticket assignee have access to the "Browse Projects" permission. But it doesn't appear to be actually affecting anything.

Can anyone walk me through how I can set this up or if there's anything I'm missing?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2017

What you really want to do here is say "Browse project: Reporter (and no-one else)", combined with allowing the AM group to create issues.

Howver, browse project is an odd one because the description implies that it's going to do what you think when it comes to "reporter" - that only the reporter can see the issue.  But it actually allows anyone who could be the reporter see the issues.  Which is anyone with create permissions.

The more limited genuine "only reporter" is available, but it has a bit of a problem, because you can throw your system into a loop if you use it in places other than "browse project".  For that reason, JIRA ships with it disabled.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-customise-jira-core-so-reporters-only-see-issues-they-reported-779290924.html for enabling it.

If you are on Cloud, you will have to go down the "security level" route.  It sounds like your set up might be right, except that a security scheme does not say "browse project", it's a simple list of "level x = these people can see the issue".

Sierra Chen April 5, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read this is that if we are on Cloud we won't be able to edit the XML file? Editing the XML file seems like the most straightforward way to go about it but we are on Cloud. 

Suggest an answer