• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • In a Board, when you drag an issue in a Column with 2 or more statuses, why can't you assign it to the other status of the same column (even with a valid transaction)??

In a Board, when you drag an issue in a Column with 2 or more statuses, why can't you assign it to the other status of the same column (even with a valid transaction)??

Amauris Peña Díaz December 24, 2016

Title explains it all.

This annoying thing is what is keeping me from using the board to update my issues, because i can't follow my workflow.

Some of you may question my Board design, because I have multiple statuses in a single column, but that's for making the board simple.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2016

Atlassian never coded the boards to allow dragging issues from one status to another when the two status in the same column.

There's a decent argument for saying that it's not something you should be able to do, because when most people want to do it, it turns out that their board is a bad representation of their process.  Multiple status in a column should usually represent cases where "an issue will go through A, B, OR C during its lifecycle, so they're in the same column", wheras if it needs to go A to B to C, it would be right to have a column for each.

But there are probably good cases for dragging between status in columns.  I am afraid I don't know any real life examples, but it's because I've not looked.  I want to be able to do it for two (weak) reasons - I'm lazy, and it would be really useful for my projects where the users don't really know what they want from the process, but do demand certain types of reporting (instead of looking at it properly for themselves). 

The only known "workaround" isn't real.  You need to put your status in their own columns.

I voted for the ability to move within columns, but Atlassian have said they're not going to do it.

Suggest an answer