In Not started/Progress/Done - Not updating correctly

Anthony Buck March 5, 2015

My "Not started/In Progress/Done"  bubbles are not reflecting exactly what is going on. It currently shows 124 story points Not started, 0 In progress, and 18 Done. This is wrong.

First issue, before I clicked "Start sprint," it showed a total of 180 story points for this sprint backlog. In fact, the burndown chart reflects the correct total of 180 as well. Why do the bubbles not properly account for the total anymore?

Secondly, there are MANY stories (or parent tasks) currently In progress...this is shown correctly on the scrum board screen columns, and also on the actual story tasks. IE...story 1563 has 13 story points and it's current status is "In progress." Why is this not reflecting on the bubbles?

I also want to point out that we are NOT estimating on the sub-tasks (or acceptance criteria), we are ONLY estimating story points on the parent task, otherwise known as the Story.

I've attached some screens.

Screen 1: 1) Shows 0 story points In progress. 2) Total story points = 142, there are 180 total in this sprint (shown in screen 3)

image2015-3-5 10:6:25.png

Screen 2: Clearly shows one of the items below as In progress, with 5 story points associated. This is NOT reflected in Screen 1 bubble.

image2015-3-5 10:10:7.png

Screen 3: Burndown chart clearly shows 180 total story points in this sprint. But screen 1 shows 142 total because it is NOT reflecting In progress.

image2015-3-5 10:11:22.png

Thanks,

Tony

2 answers

2 votes
John B October 20, 2015

The problem is actually more annoying, and seemingly a miss by Atlassian.  The only issues that count for "Not Started" are ones the first column.  The only issues that count for "Done" are the last column.  Everything in between is "In Progress".  There is no way to change this behavior from what I have seen.  It would be preferred behavior to have the numbers based on the Status type not the column position.

cweiske February 1, 2019

This is still the case in 2019 with Jira 7.3.3 :/

I've created a feature requets: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68788

Melvin Moreno August 26, 2019

Above issue doesn't seem to exist anymore. However, this is being tracked with: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12169

1 vote
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2015

Hi Anthony,

Please keep in mind those estimations rely on your board configuration. What I am trying to say is that if you don't have a given status mapped to your board, the issues in that status will not count towards your estimations. My suggestion is that you go to your board, and make sure all of your statuses are mapped correctly. Please see Configuring Columns for more details about this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Clarissa.

Baru Lopez November 4, 2018

as @John B mentioned below, the issue is that those statuses are mapped to column position, instead of the expected behavior of mapping to status, which they happen to be color coded to. These statuses being mapped only to tickets being in the first or last column makes no sense and seems to be a poor implementation that was never looked at.

The same poor behavior has carried over to the new project boards, not just in the classic boards.

How do we get this changed?

Suggest an answer