In Jira, tasks get crossed out even when not resolved. Seems very random

Ron Shteinberg April 8, 2015

I'm using JIRA version v6.3.15. We upgraded recently and since then issues seems to be crossed out on JIRA boards even if they are still in progress and their resolution is "unresolved".

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2015

There's a usual culprit for this one, and if it is what I think it is, you need to perform the first step on this list immediately to stop the damage expanding

As an admin, go to Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions.   This is a list of available resolutions for your system.  Find the one called "unresolved" and delete it.  Now.

This will stop things getting worse.  Your next exercise is one in clearing up the damage that has been done, but I won't talk through that until we can confirm that my guess about the root of the problem is correct.

Ron Shteinberg April 9, 2015

Thanks for the help. When trying to do what you suggested Jira asks me to give a new resolution for the issues already marked as unresolved. Any suggestions on what to do with that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2015

Ah, good point. You need rid of that resolution because it's utterly wrong and has caused damage, but moving it to another resolution may not be the best move at the moment. So, as you've been able to confirm that "unresolved" is the problem, I would 1. Rename "unresolved" as something clear like "this is a broken resolution, do not use me" 2. Analyze *why* someone has broken your system. My best guess is that someone put the resolution field on an edit screen, realised that they'd done something dumb, and then added a broken resolution instead of removing the field. So, I'm afraid what you need to do is go through *every* screen in your system and check if it has the resolution field on it. When you find a screen that does have the resolution on it, you then need to look at where it is used. If the screen is ONLY used on transitions that go INTO a status that you consider to be "done" (i.e. "resolved", "closed", "rejected" type status), then it is fine. If the screen is used for VIEW, it's fine. If it is used for EDIT, or transitions that end in any "open" type status, then *delete the resolution field* from the screen. 3. Now we can start to repair the data - do a search for "resolution = this is a broken resolution *and* status in (your closed status list)" - this will give you the extent of the damage I'll actually stop there, because the next step in fixing this is dependent on the size of the problem. If you run through those three steps and let us know the size, we can move on.

Erez Tavor December 14, 2016

Hello from a year and a half in the future, 

I did the above and indeed there is a resolution field in an Edit screen (one screen used for all sad)

and searching for Unresolved resolution and status Done returned ~900 issues... 

Is there a way to set them to a proper resolution?

Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2016

There's a script in the script-runner that can fix them, but if that's not an option, you'll need to cycle them through a workflow transition with "clear resolution" on it.

0 votes
maguialahmar July 23, 2019

I agree with Nic, here are more info https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver075/defining-resolution-field-values-935391101.html 

Resolution is a SYSTEM Field and it's always required, you cannot make it optional from Configuration scheme. 
Therefor having the "Resolution" in edit screen will make it mandatory to set a resolution 

Any issue that has the Resolution field set is treated by JIRA applications as "resolved". 

Suggest an answer