In Jira, make a reference to an item from a table

Jennifer Philips October 31, 2017

In Jira, I would like to create a table (in the sense of a database table)  of products, so that each product has a number of fields, and there is a screen to fill in these fields.

In my issues (e.g. bug reports) I want to be able to add a reference to a product from that table.

I assume that to maintain that table of products, I shall create a separate issue type.

But then, I how do I create a field that is a reference to an issue of another type?

1 answer

1 vote
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2017

Jennifer,

i think you need to create an issue type for each group of products with the same field scheme.

then you can obtain the name of the concrete product from the db using a custom field designed to do that such as database custom fields for example 

Jennifer Philips November 1, 2017

Thank you, Gaston,

How do I create a custom field that contains references to products?

I have seen articles related to "Query issue related custom field", which is a part of a plugin, "Query Issues Custom Fields". However, I don't find it in the marketplace. I have googled up a link,  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ru.mail.jira.plugins.lf.queryfields/server/support , but it is dead. Maybe that plugin is removed?

I think my problem should be quite common, and it is strange that I don't find a simple solution...

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 1, 2017

This is one of the use cases supported by the Table grid editor

Check also the documentation around the 'product list' use case 

Let me know if it helps

Francis

Jennifer Philips November 5, 2017

Thank you Francis,

I have installed and tried the Table Grid Editor. I don't find a way to make it do what I need.

AFAIU, Table Grid Editor lets you insert a table, which is fed from an external database.

While I need a dropdown field, whose values are built by a query on a table from the JIRA database.

Can it be done using Table Grid Editor?

Jennifer Philips December 23, 2017

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ru.mail.jira.plugins.lf.queryfields/overview is back to life, and it does the job. 

Nevertheless, it's all too complicated. I compare it to venerable ClearQuest. It has "stateless" records, which are saved as tables in the database. You can  use queries on these tables to populate lists of values. In Jira, I have to create a special issue type and work hard to get rid of most standard fields and states.

Isn't there a better solution?

Suggest an answer