In Jira, how would I generate a visual representation of our sprints' completion rates?

Devon Bain December 7, 2016

I'm looking for a way to show the rate of completion for committed features at the start of each sprint, for all of our completed sprints. In theory, this should be trending upwards over time as we get better, but I don't see a simple way to generate this filter and produce a graph to show this. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2016

Have you looked at the velocity report? This shows you your progress in terms of velocity from sprint to sprint (only showing the most recent ones though).

See

<your host>/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=<agileboard>&view=reporting&chart=velocityChart

I have - but it appears to default to story points as the team is set up in scrum... but never assigned points. That's why I was looking specifically for completion rate at a story level. What I imagine it would look like would be this:

1. Get all sprints until now
  2. foreach sprint, get list of all stories with sprint's tag
  3. list.where(x => x.status == "done").Count / list.Count
  4. Display in visual format (line graph would be perfect)

There's longer reasons to why I'm trying to do it this way, but that's the generic "what I'm trying to accomplish." Does that help?

The Velocity report for the project sort of already gets this information for a given sprint - if you pull up the report, it will tell you for a given sprint the issues completed in the sprint and the issues not completed. I really just need a count of each and to do a simple calculation (issuesCompleted/ (issuesCompleted + IssuesNotCompleted)) for each sprint and then display the results.

Suggest an answer