In Jira, can I use @group to notify all people in that group in a comment?

Henric Johansson September 10, 2013

If I for instance like to have the attention of people in the group "qa" it would be good if I can write that instead of all the names individually. Can this be done or is there a plugin for this?

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2013

Hi Henric.

As far as I know it's not possible with the current JIRA releases: you can not mention @all (all participants / watchers) or @group (all people in the given group) in the JIRA.

As for a plugin - I'm not aware of any either. You could browse the Atlassian Marketplace. Some vendors or just enthusiasts could have implemented this.

--

Cheers, Ignat.

Henric Johansson September 17, 2013
I did browse it, and could not find it, that's why I asked here. Planned use is to say notify all members of QA by writing @qa if I have such a group. Or @pm, or @team-1. I will go ahead and request such a feature in Jira, will post back here with the issue key.
Like # people like this
Henric Johansson September 26, 2013

I have created this jira ticket: JRA-35055

6 votes
Naveen G July 7, 2020
  • Go to MORE in toolbar top in Jira.
  • Select PEOPLE.
  • In this page you can see Start A Team icon. Click that
  • You are set now! Who all team mates you invite and if they accept your invite will be activated. 
  • And in future if you want to mention/tag your team mates in a message you no need to mention them Individually. You can mention/tag the team name so every one in the team who accepted the invitation link will get the notification.
2 votes
Dinesh Katyal November 20, 2019

We have cross org participants, and creating a dummy email address for all isn't possible. It would be great to get group level notifications.

1 vote
Michal Blazejczyk March 1, 2021

I did create a new "Team" for my team, and indeed I can tag this team in tickets – but all it does is expand into the full list of names of people who belong to the team.  This adds a lot of unnecessary noise to the tickets.  Is this the expected behaviour?

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

Hi Michal,

As of now, team mentions expands to individual user mentions. We do understand that this behaviour can be improved and our team is already working on improving this.

Regards,

Ishan

Like Sara Graves likes this
0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

@Henric Johansson and others. Since you've expressed interest in Teams functionality:

We have an upcoming release of a brand new Teams field in Jira and we'd like to invite you to join a limited Early Access Program!

With this field enabled, users will be able to
- Create and manage teams
- Associate Jira issues with Teams
- Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by Team
- View the issues associated with a team on the team profile (across Jira, Confluence and more) We are launching this as part of a larger mission to enable our products to be more effective for teamwork. This field uses the Atlassian Teams concept (the one that is accessible through the People menu on the top nav on Jira and Confluence cloud editions). We are also working on unifying the different team concepts you see in our products today into one single Atlassian Teams concept that can be used across the Atlassian product suite. If this sounds interesting to you, we would love it if you would join us in trying out these early features to help us shape the future of Atlassian Teams. Please fill out this form if interested - https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9 We are looking for teams that currently use the free & standard edition of Jira software.

Full context at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Early-access-program-for-a-brand-new-Team-field-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1833946

Form to fill to try out the feature : https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9

0 votes
Dinesh Katyal April 29, 2021

The Team solution creates a private group by default. A user can see the teams they belong to, but cannot see members of any other teams. Nor can they ask to be invited to the Team. It works if you have a dedicated project manager managing the Team, and even then only for small Teams but not otherwise. It is pretty useless for us. We do not have the bandwidth to manage the Teams, nor do the Team leads have the bandwidth to do so. 

0 votes
Rahul Ingle April 29, 2021

Hello All,

Go to MORE in toolbar top in Jira.

Select PEOPLE.

In this page you can see Start A Team icon. Click that

You are set now! Who all team mates you invite and if they accept your invite will be activated. 

And in future, if you want to mention/tag your teammates in a message you no need to mention them Individually. You can mention/tag the team name so everyone in the team who accepted the invitation link will get the notification.

set team name.JPGjira user profile.jpgstart team.jpg

0 votes
Daniel Cosmus March 17, 2021

Hello @Michal Blazejczyk 

There is a Plugin for Jira Server, which allows each user to create your own mention-groups and mention this group at one time. Maybe this might help.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1224368/user-mention-groups-for-the-richtext-editor?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2021

Hi @Henric Johansson ,

While it's not possible to mention a group in Jira, it's possible to mention a team. This does not answer your exact use case, but might be of help. Check https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Keep-your-team-in-the-loop-with-Team-mentions-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1280016 for further details.

Regards,

Ishan

Michal Blazejczyk March 3, 2021

Mentioning a team just expands into a list of all team members.  It adds A LOT of noise to tickets.  Definitely not the best design.

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

This would be an excellent feature request for JIRA.

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

You can add the group type for the Issue Commented event Issue in the notification schema.

Ignat
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2013

Hi!

Did I get your point correctly, all comments to the issues would be broadcasted to a single group?

Like Naveen G likes this
Paul M_ Zahorosky October 3, 2019

This does not answer the OP's question.

Suggest an answer