In Jira any custom field data type supports - Select list Multiple choices (cascading) list?

Manjunatha K R January 19, 2017

Hi,

I have a requirement, where I need to have "multiple choices (cascading)" list to store my project custom field values as below:

1) PXDM -> PXDM1, PXDM2

2) EGS -> EGS1, EGS2

I want to store the above 2 cascading choices in one custom field only.

But using Select list (cascading), only I will be able to get support to store 1) values only.

Again to store input of 2), I need to define one more custom field of data type Select list (cascading).

Looking of type "Choose multiple values list using 2 select list defined by Select list (cascading)".

Please advice, it is possible to achieve this or any other alternatives/suggestions ????

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

There's no type of field that supports that in JIRA.

Your best option is to create a single-select and then a separate multi-select and join them together with a Behaviour, so that selecting something in the single-select changes the available options in the multi-select.  It's still two fields though.

Manjunatha K R January 19, 2017

Thanks for your prompt response Nic.

My exact requirement is as below:

After joining both single(component field) and multiple choice(subsystems) custom fields together with a Behaviour & I want to store the mapped values into a single custom field based on user requirement as below:

PXDM -> PXDM1

PXDM -> PXDM2

EGS -> EGS1,

EGS -> EGS2,

I am not sure, how to store these user selected mapped values into a "single custom field" of type what ?? and how to traverse this custom field to create a clone issues on mapped component and respective subsystems values by user in JIRA one by one.  

manjunatha k r January 19, 2017

As per my understanding, In my case both component and subsystems custom fields should be of single, multiple choice select lists but need to store mapped multiple user inputs/values into a single custom field of type multiple-select cascading type equivalent list as you suggested.

But how to get mapped single list ie component to multiple select list ie subsystems user input multiple values as explained in my example and store in a single custom field of multi-select cascading type list. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

As I said, you are not going to get this in a single field unless you write your own field type add-on.

It should be possible, albeit more complex, to have a pair of multi-selects instead of single/multi, but I'm not sure the Behaviours can do it.

Suggest an answer