In Jira 7 release notes what is an application?

Christian Roestel Community Champion Oct 01, 2015
how does the licensing work?   What is an application?

are plugins now called applications?  What is core?
  • Licensing - JIRA 7.0 eliminates the single JIRA license in favor of a base platform where multiple applications can be licensed individually. You can install one or more applications in JIRA via the Manage applications page. The base JIRA application, JIRA Core, provides basic project tracking capabilities for business teams. All JIRA applications include access to JIRA Core, or you can license JIRA Core only for users that need basic access to JIRA.

1 answer

1 accepted

The Agile and Service Desk plugins are now applications.

JIRA 7 divided in 3 products.

JIRA Core (for business teams)

JIRA Software (for dev teams, with all Agile tools)

JIRA Service Desk (for service desk team)

If you have JIRA Core installed, you can add a Application to your instance, like JIRA Software or JIRA Service Desk, and set the users able to access this new application.

As a example, you will not have anymore to purchase an Agile license for all your users in JIRA, you can just purchase the number of licenses you need to attend your dev team.

Cheers!
Teilor

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,975 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot