In Jira 5.1 , how i can set the assignee default to unassigned in a project?

Yashaswini Lingaiah November 20, 2012

In Jira 5.1 , how i can set the assignee default to unassigned in a project?

8 answers

2 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2012

Hi Yash,

I believe that you can set the default assignee to unassigned, however it is only at the project-level, meaning that you would have to set this for individual projects.

Go to the Administration Screen of your Project, then go to the 'People' tab. You should see the 'Default Asignee :' section there. Click on the pencil icon, and you can choose the default assignee to be Unassigned.

You can find a documentation about this here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project#DefiningaProject-Roles

Cheers,

Joe

2 votes
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012
  1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
  2. Choose Administration at the top right of your screen. Then choose System > General Configuration to open the 'Administration' page.
    (tick) Keyboard shortcut: g + g + start typing general configuration
  3. Scroll to the end of the page and click the Edit Configuration button to edit the three sections as described below:

Under options

Allow unassigned issues is by default is set to OFF. switch it to ON.

Then you will be able to see the option unassigned.

If you have problem with configuring, read this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+Options

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

1 vote
Perkuto Tech March 18, 2020

Here is what worked for me (I'm on Jira Cloud and I have classic project enabled): once "Allow unassigned issues" is turned on as described by Nitram, I found the option to change the default assignee under Project/ Project settings / Details / Default Assignee...

1 vote
lmiranda_atlassian June 23, 2013

Starting with JIRA 6.0.3, if the "Allow unassigned issues" option is ON then the default assignee for newly-created projects will be "Unassigned".

0 votes
Boris T November 26, 2012

Yash,

I am not sure if my comment would help you. Following worked for me, but please note we do not use ondemand we have Jira installed locally on our server. I do not know how much control you have over ondemand installation.

Use this at your own risk. Make sure that you have "Allow Unassigned Issues" option turned on.

Then edit: [JiraInstallationDir]/atlassian-jira/secure/admin/views/addproject.jsp

Change this line

<aui:component label="'assigneeType'" name="'assigneeType'" template="hidden.jsp" theme="'aui'"/>

to this (add value="'3'")

<aui:component label="'assigneeType'" name="'assigneeType'" template="hidden.jsp" value="'3'" theme="'aui'"/>

for version 5.1.8 it was line 101 in addproject.jsp file. restart Jira.

I hope it works for you.

0 votes
Peter von Hofer November 20, 2012

You've got two options either leave "project lead" empty then "assignee: automatic" leads to an unassigned issue.

Or second option is to use a post function to update (clear) assignee field.

0 votes
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

HI,

As I said above, you need to do.The following image will be the result.

Once done, you can achieve your expected outcome in the create screen.

Hope it helps.

Hi Nitram,

The above settings are set properly and i am able to see unassigned option. But on load of the create issue page i want to set the assignee to Unassigned .

0 votes

I want to set , the assignee field to unassigned instead of automatic ,On create screen For a project in jira.

How i can do this?

Suggest an answer