In JIRA can a comment to reference another comment

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

Hi all,

In JIRA can a comment to reference another comment.  So typing in a comment that refers to another comment, say in another project.    I know each comment is stored in the database and has to have a unique to to access within the database so it is possible, just do know if anyone has done anything like this.

I know that I can create a request for enhancement if it doesn't but I was just not sure if it does.  

Thanks to anyone who knows,

Robert

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2016

Hi Robert,

if you hover with the mouse over a comment, you will see a chain-link-sign. Right click on this icon, copy this link to the clipboard and paste this link to the new comment.

Thomas 

niaomingjian July 12, 2018

That permanent link is very ugly. Is there a better solution? I hope there's a way to jump from a comment to another one with shorter link name.

Like Stefan Eyerich likes this
cxsup August 14, 2018

@Young If within the same issue, the anchor link can be used to refer to the comment where the actual text might look like something like:

See comment below [#comment-10212]

And display like:

See comment below comment-10212

Like # people like this
Rita Fowers October 4, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel or someone please post a picture of the chain link sign. I don't see the sign when I mouse over a comment. However I'm able to find link for an issue (but not a specific comment in a issue)

@cxsup How do you find the comment number within an issue? Please enlighten me.

Thank you

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2018

@Rita Fowers, here it is:

image.png

Like SimonH likes this

Hi @Thomas Schlegel

Thanks for the screenshot. I realized that you're using an older version of jira. I'm using jira cloud and the new version no longer has this option. :(

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2018

@Rita Fowers - In Cloud you have to select "Permalink"

image.png

@Thomas Schlegel

Yes I understand, there are a couple aspects I found that are not user friendly. Allow me to explain:

1. Jira just released a new update to the cloud UI which was automatically applied to my account. I had to select "go back to the old view" in order for the permalink option to show up. 

2. But even then this permalink option isn't available in Active Sprint or Backlog menu (i'm using a scrum board). It's however available in "Issues and Filters" menu. This makes it so that if I'm making a comment to an issue in Active Sprint or Backlog views and need to refer to an earlier comment in the same issue, I have to exist out of the view, go to Issues and Filters, and find the permalink of the earlier comment and return back to paste it. 

Are you aware if the permalink option is available for individual comments in Active Sprint or Backlog menu?

Thank you

Like Mohamed Kerany likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2018

@Rita Fowers - We don't use Cloud in our environment, I only have an account for answering questions here, so I don't have that much experience with Cloud.

I looked at the new issue view and also did not find the permalink option.

Please use the "Give feedback" - function and tell Atlassian about this. I know, they are reading feedback carefully.

Your question was also asked a few weeks ago:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-get-the-permalink-to-a-comment-in-the-new-2018-Issue/qaq-p/886170

Like # people like this
Pawel Trauth October 21, 2019

I guess you can see `...` if you can edit given comment. I'm not an administrator, and I cannot link to a comment

Bruno Bronosky February 13, 2020

If you use the workaround described in my other comment here (which I CAN link to) and use the revealed comment id to link to it from another comment. It will appear to you that it worked. But, anyone using the new Jira issue view will see the `[#comment-10212]` exactly as you entered it.

5 votes
Bruno Bronosky February 13, 2020

If you have the "New Layout View" of Jira Cloud, you can go to the main URL for an issue. I will look like this http:// yourcompany .atlassian .net /browse /PROJ-1234

From there you can:

• Add this query string to your address:

?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel

• When the page reloads, Click the Ellipses menu on the top right of the comment
  • Choose Permalink
  • When the page reloads, copy the address and you can share a link to this "Old Jira" view of the ticket.

It shouldn't be this difficult. Rich links are something we have expected for decades.

SimonH April 21, 2020

Yes, it's appalling!  Does anyone know of an enhancement request to improve this.  Frankly, even if the comments displayed their ID in clear text, I could just type in that number and the user could scroll up.  But the current situation has a UI that is good for neither human interaction not an automated link.

Ben Tilford April 29, 2020

WTF did they do, this is so dumb. A decade of linking to comments and they kill it off.

Suggest an answer