In JIRA Service Desk, How do I preserve the history of an email thread?

Gary Rafter June 22, 2017

JIRA version : 7.3.3

JSD version : 3.4

Description of issue:

I am looking to implement JIRA Service Desk in my organisation and one of the requirements from the business is that all email communications (we only use email to make request) maintains the email history of the back and forth on each ticket,   the reason for this is if a person is CC'ed on the email thread in the middle of a discussion then they can see the full history from before they were added.

So I went into Applications ->JIRA Service Desk -> Email Requests and went to the 'Strip Quotes' section and checked the 'Don't Strip quotes (Copies the entire email thread.)' radio button thinking that this would allow me to achieve what I am looking for.

So now when a Email is sent in to Service Desk from a customer the mail history is preserved but if an agent responds within the ticket it does not keep the history of the email.  And so now if anyone is added to the email thread from this point on they will not see the conversations that have happened up until they were added.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work within Service Desk or even a plugin to get it to do this?

One way that would make this work is if the was an 'Insert Variable' called ${AllPublicComments} available in the 'Public Comment Added' rule template in the 'Customer Notification' section.

Thanks

8 answers

6 votes
Gilberto Meléndez [sv] July 5, 2019

Saddly this issue is waiting since 2015 for a solution from Jira no wonder why Zendesk is gathering that amount of grow...

This is a basic feature that should be implemented ASAP, include the last 10 replies for the love of god....

1 vote
David Valle August 31, 2020

hello everyone, I was able to get the post history to be preserved, when the agent makes an internal comment and when a participant is added. (sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue)

What I did was create a customer notification.
follow these steps:
1- select proyect configurations in your service desk then customer notifications and next custom notifications:

2- you have to create two types of notifications:
a) notification when an incident is created, use these settings:

incident is created.png

When this rule is created (Incident Created), it sends the details of the variables entered:
$ {Destination.name} customer that sent the request
$ {Issue.summary} email subject
Message description $ {issue.description}

in this way the client will know on what subject and description her created request is detailed

b) notification when adding participants, use this setting

add participants 2.png

When this rule is created (participant added to incidence), it sends the details of the variables entered,
$ {Issue.reporter.name} customer that submitted the request
$ {Issue.summary} email subject
Message description $ {issue.description}
in this way the participant will know the history of the publication

this has worked for me. if you have questions you can ask me

Andy Stutzmann October 20, 2020

Thanks a lot! I've looked into so many threads, tickets and in the marketplace for a solution.

While not perfect as it's not exactly what I was looking for, it was the best workaround I could find so far which covers most of our issues! :)

1 vote
David Valle August 26, 2020

we need this too

1 vote
Gary Rafter July 7, 2017

Hi Will,

Thanks for the response on this,  unfortunatly my customers are unable to use the Portal at this time as our JIRA server instance is behind a firewall so they don't have direct access to it,  only via email.

I found a ticket already on Attlassian.com that mataches exactly what I am looking for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-5188,  so I added a vote for it rather than duplicating the request.

Thanks

-Gary

Justin Snyder May 29, 2018

Just want to add my voice to the conversation and say this has become a critical need for my business as well. If there is anyone who has found a possible solution, I would appreciate it if you could post your findings here. 

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2018

No solution but I have the same problem

Is it me or is the feature request link broken? I'll try to find this and vote

Ideally we'd like a "preserve email conversation history" checkbox that could be toggled case by case (I.e. Customer by customer)

antsib January 25, 2019

It is something that our customers constantly request. Complex support tickets can take some time to resolve, we may contact them a couple of days later to inform them of where we are at with it. At least having the option of including the original request text as well as the last 2 responses would help greatly.

dclune September 23, 2019

HI Jira team, has there been any further development done on this issue at this point? It is critical that clients can see their initial email request.

Thanks Declan Clune

Like # people like this
Dave Boucher April 30, 2020

We have a need for this as well.

Like Corey Box likes this
1 vote
Will Howard-McKinney
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Gary,

You definitely did your homework =) You're correct that the 'srtrip quotes' setting doesn't affect the content of email notifications that customers receive.

The only option for viewing previously added comments when a user is added to an issue is to view it in the portal. Alternatively, the agent can copy/paste the thread after the user has been added, but that's a bit cumbersome to scale...

I explored this a bit to see if I could find some workaround, and wasn't able to. I couldn't find a variable that would include what you're after, and I wasnt' able to find an addon either.

Please raise this as a feature request, and I'll follow our internal process as well, to get this feedback to our dev team. You can find existing feature requests and file new ones here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Thanks for the question!

dclune November 11, 2019

Hi Will,

I am i'm sure many others have raise similar feature requests yet nothing happens - so is there any point in raising a feature request?

Thanks Declan

Like # people like this
0 votes

0 votes

0 votes
Corey Box August 30, 2020

Our Team are also looking to implement this to efficiently transition from Zendesk to Jira Help Desk.

Have any solutions or work arounds for this issue been deployed yet?

If so, can you please provide a link.

Thank you

Dima Lazarchuk
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2020
Corey Box August 30, 2020

Thanks for that.

Although I am looking for the option for all to be able to view email thread 

Andy Stutzmann October 19, 2020

Have you found something?
We just recently switched from Zendesk to JSD and are pretty much regretting it now, as this is a key feature for us and it's missing, so we might switch back to Zendesk if we don't find anything...

Like Russell Lewis likes this

Suggest an answer