In JIRA, Filter by Application Link?

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2012

In a Jira's search/filter, is it possible to search (create a filter) to find all tickets that contain an app link to a particular Confluence page?

(This would be in the ticket's App Links, not among other a text.)

I intend to use a JIRA project to track proposed changes to Confluence pages. Therefore every ticket will be about a Confluence page. On each Confluence page I want to list every ticket related to that page. To do that I believe I would need to place a macro that listed "all JIRA tickets about this Confluence page".

From what I've read, it does not seem possible in the JIRA Query Language because searching can only be done on fields and links are not in a standard JIRA field - according to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-FieldsReference

I was surprised in fact, that - seemingly - in order to search for the value of a custom field I'd have to write code. (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/59996/custom-field-is-a-select-list-of-jira-issues).

I question: will the same be true of searching for an AppLink?

Thanks, M.

2 answers

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2012

ok, so, do I have it right:

• page identifiers in fields are simply separate concepts to app links
  • even with the JIRA Toolkit, JIRA has is no native Confluence page identifier that can be used as a field
    • so we can't search for ticket relating to pages
  • However, we can make a simple text pageid field that mirror's the applink's pageid.
    • we'd need logic to sync the pageid field to an issue's app link field, such that the pageid JIRA field takes the same value
  • because this pageid field is then a text field we can then use JQL to populate a filter search?

Thanks,

Martin.

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2012

"There isn't a way to JQL query for that. JIRA tickets don't track if they're linked to other applications. You can use labels or a custom field to tage all JIRA tickets associated with a page and then use a JIRA issues macro to populate a filter search on the Confluence page." - Atlassian Support (by email)

Suggest an answer