In JIRA 7, how can I restrict a Group to view only one Project?

Brian Bargiel December 4, 2015

Now that JIRA 7 has removed the jira-users global permission, it's not possible to add simple login permission to a Group without giving the users access to all JIRA functions.

I have searched the forums far and wide, and it seems like the solutions worked for 6.x versions.

Here's the story:

When a User that is a member of a particular Group logs in to JIRA, they can see only their project and the boards and issues related to that project.

1 answer

2 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2015

The most manageable approach that I know of for this is as follows.

1. Look at the roles for each project and check that you have everyone covered in the 

image2015-12-5 11:45:28.png

This example shows that all users are in the role for this project. Amend this to match the group for your individual project.

2. If you are using an unmodified default permission scheme then you are all set.

If you have modified or are using a different permission scheme then make sure the Browse Project has "Project role (Users) as shown below.

image2015-12-5 11:48:47.png

3 Remember to check all projects have the right set of permissions/user roles and you are then good to go. 

One of the major benefits of this approach with using roles over using groups is that Project Administrators can change who is in a role whereas group membership has to be an Application Administrator.

I hope this helps with your use case.

Phill 

Suggest an answer