In JIRA 6.3, how can I have Microsoft Active Directory Authentication enabled and configured to allow external users to change their own passwords?

JIRA_Notifications January 27, 2015

We want to use MS Active Directory authentication in JIRA 6.3 and I have configured it to use "read only," but when I logon to JIRA with my AD account and go into my profile, there is no option to change my password.  How can I have MS AD auth directory enabled so our internal JIRA users can use their AD accounts to logon AND so our external clients, who don't have internal access to our network, can logon to JIRA via our public website and change their own password when we send them a password expiring notification?  I'm guessing we need to enable an SSL connection between our JIRA instance and our domain controller, but what else is necessary?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Dave

1 answer

0 votes
JobTarget Operations March 13, 2015

Since you set the Directory Type to MS Active Directory "read-only", it will not allow AD-authenticated users to change their password inside of JIRA.  If you change the type to MS Active Directory to "read/write", then they can change their password inside of JIRA.  You'll have to log in as a local JIRA admin (not AD-authenticated) to change the directory type.  For your external clients, you can have them use the local JIRA directory for authentication and they can do password resets and changes without AD accounts.  You do not need SSL between JIRA and your DC.  I would however recommend setting up SSL on your JIRA instance since it is public-facing.  Here's how to do that - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+over+SSL+or+HTTPS

Good luck!

-Kyle

Suggest an answer