In Automation for Jia, can I send an email where the recipient is in a text custom field?

Paul Manley November 27, 2019

We have some custom fields that have imported from our CRM that are lists of contacts we want to send emails to from Automation for Jira.

We don't want to create users for these emails in our Jira Cloud.

In automation for Jira, I can send an email, but it's either to a Static Email, or to a a field that is set as a User type.  We basically want the "Static" option, but we want to pull that from a custom field.

Is that possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user November 28, 2019

Hi Paul,

I'm Ilenice, from Automation for JIRA Support team.

Thanks for your question!

Well, this is possible through Automation for Jira. However, as your custom field will store a list of contacts instead of only one email address, it’s important to be aware that it will only work if you have the right field type combined with the right way of how data is placed on it.

To access your custom field, you would use the code below, as Alexander mentioned above:

{{issue.Your Custom Field Name}}

Please note that your custom field's values must have only email addresses; you cannot have on it extra information like users' names.

So, in the example below, I’ve created a “Text Field (single line)” field type. In this case, Automation will only correctly send the message if the email addresses are separated with commas into the field, without blank space between them. If you choose to use the same field type, you would have to treat these data before importing this to Jira:

19171_ExampleRule.png

19171_Issue.png

I hope it helps!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,

Ilenice

1 vote
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2019

this is working in my jira instance

image.png

can you try something like 

issue.customfieldname

Suggest an answer