Importing single project from Cloud instance to different version of server instance

Leena Bakshi January 4, 2018

Hi,

We were in testing phase of Jira cloud instance a year ago and bought 100 user licenses and we already have On Prem instance with 500 user license.

We recently upgraded Server instance Jira to 7.3.3 version and have more than 500 active projects going on and is the main instance used by everyone.

Currently there are only 2 active users (under the same project) in our cloud instance and we want to migrate them to the On Prem instance without loosing any configuration of their projects/boards, attachments etc. I understand that cloud instance is always on the latest version and we are little behind, is there a safe approach that I can do this, without loosing any data and without overwriting any of our existing configuration in On Prem instance?

I was thinking to first install jira 7.6 in a test env and then try the migration and then do another migration from 7.6 to 7.3.3 instance.. Is there a way to do this directly to 7.3.3 version?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi Leena,

The best way to get the users into your local instance at this point is going to be to upgrade the target instance to the latest version, backup the Cloud site and import the data. 

You would not be able to make a test instance of the latest and go back to a lower version due to the limitations of the Project Importer tool:

• The version of JIRA in which your backup was created must be identical to the version of your target JIRA instance, e.g. if your backup file was created in JIRA 6.4, then your target instance of JIRA must be version 6.4.
  • If your backup file is from a later version of JIRA than your target instance of JIRA:
    1. Upgrade the version of your target instance of JIRA to match the version of JIRA in which the backup was created.

Take a look at Restoring a Project from backup for more information about the requirements to import a single project.

Cheers,

Branden

Unfortunately we cannot go to the latest jira version on our On Prem instance.

Does it mean that we cannot migrate from cloud to server at all? I mean we must spend extra money only for 2 users? is there any lower user tier available for cloud instance?

Thanks

Leena

Oh Never mind, I did find the lower user tier.

Thanks for all your help.

Suggest an answer