Importing projects from Mantis into JIRA

Zuber Khursiwala May 2, 2012

Hi

I'm evaluating JIRA and have just tried to import a single existing project from Mantis. The import fails almost immediately though, with the following exception:

2012-05-03 10:57:09,939 INFO - Import started by admin using com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.mantis.MantisDataBean
2012-05-03 10:57:09,954 INFO - ------------------------------
2012-05-03 10:57:09,954 INFO - Importing: Users
2012-05-03 10:57:09,954 INFO - ------------------------------
2012-05-03 10:57:09,954 INFO - Only new items will be imported
2012-05-03 10:57:10,017 INFO - 11 users associated with import.

[note: I have omitted the usernames listed in the log]

2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - ------------------------------
2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - Finished Importing : Users
2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - 8 users successfully created.
2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - Retrieving projects...
2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - Importing: Issues
2012-05-03 10:57:10,892 INFO - Only new items will be imported
2012-05-03 10:57:10,907 INFO - ------------------------------
2012-05-03 10:57:10,907 INFO - Finished Importing : Issues
2012-05-03 10:57:10,907 INFO - ------------------------------
2012-05-03 10:57:10,907 ERROR - Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data maybe in an unstable state
com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.SQLRuntimeException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.web.JdbcConnection.queryDb(JdbcConnection.java:177)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.web.JdbcConnection.queryDb(JdbcConnection.java:146)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.mantis.MantisDataBean.getTotalIssues(MantisDataBean.java:90)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.DefaultJiraDataImporter.doImport(DefaultJiraDataImporter.java:293)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.ImporterCallable.call(ImporterCallable.java:25)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.ImporterCallable.call(ImporterCallable.java:14)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:359)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.runForTenant(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:61)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.juc.MultiTenantExecutors$WrappedRunnable.run(MultiTenantExecutors.java:160)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:249)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:406)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.getInstance(Util.java:381)
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:1030)
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:956)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3558)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3490)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1959)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2109)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2648)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:2077)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:2228)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.web.JdbcConnection.queryDb(JdbcConnection.java:162)
... 15 more
2012-05-03 10:57:10,907 INFO - No issues need to be reindexed.

Both JIRA's database and Mantis' database are in the same MySQL instance (MySQL 5.5.18). We are using Mantis 1.2.8.

Please help.

6 answers

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

We had an issue with our version of mantis being very...very old, and customized. We also will need to migrate close to 100,000 issues.

So we actually wrote a simple php page (just modified the default report page from mantis) that filters the project/dates we are migtrating and generates a JSON payload.

YOu can use the JSON importer found in JIM, or for bonus points just have the php page post the json payload direct to JIRA's rest APIs.

This allows _full_ migration of attachments,watchers, comments, links, history, etc.

// how to setup filter and get initial list of bugs
$filter = filter_get_default();
$filter['_view_type']='advanced';

// Dates
$filter['start_year']=$start_year;
$filter['start_day']=$start_day; // yep, only integer
$filter['start_month']=$start_month;
$filter['end_year']=$end_year;
$filter['end_day']=$end_day; // dido
$filter['end_month']=$end_month;
$filter['do_filter_by_date']='on'; //IMPORTANT - to use dates, do_filter_by_date must = "on"
$filter['search']=$search;
$filter['show_category']=$category;
$filter['show_status']=$status;

$result = filter_get_bug_rows( $t_page_number, $t_per_page, $t_page_count, $t_bug_count, $filter , $projectId);
	//$result = filter_get_bug_rows( $t_page_number, $t_per_page, $t_page_count, $t_bug_count );
	$row_count = sizeof( $result );

Then just loop through, printing the json payload depending on your target.

You'll need to make some additional queries to the "monitor","bug_notes", and other tables for non-core values, but all the basic plumbing is already there. Just copy and modify to your needs.

0 votes
Al Sko June 8, 2012

you can also try Task Adapter, it provides another way of migrating tasks from Mantis bug tracker to Jira. it's an external program where you can enter Mantis and Jira website URLs and it will use remote APIs provided by those systems. no SQL access or any plugin installation is required.

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012

No problem Richard, thank you! Would you mind summarizing your feedback as a new issue on our official feature request tracker?

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Thanks!

-Simon

0 votes
Zuber Khursiwala May 3, 2012

I also noticed that the URL as I typed it appeared as the 'linkback' to the original issue in the imported issues. I entered 'localhost' because I was on the box at the time and I knew it would be able to connect. But I didn't realise that would end up in the issue as a link, which from a browser on another machine obviously wont work. So it might be useful to have a bit of a hint against that field e.g. "the value you enter for the Mantis URL will appear as a link in the issue so please enter a full URL that any machine on the network will be able to access, rather than just 'localhost'"

Hope that's helpful (I'm not trying to be a pain, honest!) :)

0 votes
Zuber Khursiwala May 3, 2012

Hi Simon

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had some really good help from one of your support team earlier in the day.

I actually figured it out just before I got his email though: on the import screen, it looked like the Mantis username / password was optional so without thinking about it too much, I didn't fill them in (I thought it would get everything it needed from the database, the username and password for which I *did* provide). But, it seems that it does need a Mantis username/password so it can do whatever it does with the url to Mantis properly.

So I tried again with those values entered (I used my Mantis admin user) and it worked. Actually, it worked really well, quite impressed :)

But if you guys would like a bit of hopefully constructive feedback it would be maybe to add a little bit of extra validation on that screen, or a more informative error message for when this goes wrong.

Like I said though, it's working really well now, just evaluating it for our place, and it seems really good.

Cheers!

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Hi Richard,

This looks like an issue that you should report to our support team so they can fully investigate it. Please head over to support.atlassian.com, sign up, and report this problem in the "JIRA" project.

When support figures out the issue, please take a moment to update this question so others may be able to find the solution.

-Simon

Suggest an answer