Importing issues from one JIRA instance to another

Saumya Agarwal October 18, 2017
  • Choose > System.
  • In the Import and Export section, click Jira Import and follow the steps to upload your backup file. This process checks URLs in the specified XML backup, and will let you choose whether or not to update URLs to point to the new Jira Cloud application.

I found this solution to import a zipped file from one instance to migrate projects and issues to another instance of JIRA, but I am not being able to find the "Jira Import" option under Import and Export section.

There are just 2 options available as:

1. Backup Manager and 

2. External System Import

I tried using the second option but it did not work as the document specified.

Please help me find a way to import all my data from one JIRA instance to another.

Capture.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Maurice
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Hi Saumya,

It sounds like you are using Jira Cloud.

You may not have the correct permissions to access the import options as this does erase all current data on your Cloud instance.

You can try accessing the URL directly to test this:

https://YOUR-URL.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudImport!start.jspa

You will need to have the site-administrator permission in order to do this.

Best regards,
Brian

Saumya Agarwal October 24, 2017

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your reply, I have the admin rights to access the URL, I suppose that is why I am allowed to create a new project.

I tried accessing the URL specified by you, but it shows this error

"It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your Jira administrators."

I am not understanding how is this possible, because if I can create a new project it means I have the admin rights.

Are there any other rights which I need to have to perform this action?

Waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Saumya

Suggest an answer