Importing from Jira 4.1.1 via the JIRA Import Wizard?

davidrwood January 28, 2013

The page here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Importing+Issues

Implies that I can use a 4.1.1 XML export to import into OnDemand.

Can anyone confirm that's likley to work before I start the process please?

We've also got Greenhopper installed on that instance - in case that's relevant.

Thanks!

Dave

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2013

Hi David,

Importing Jira data that was created prior to version 4.3.x will fail. The documentation is misleading, we will be working on making this more clear. In order to import your data I would advise to first locally import the data in Jira 5.x and from this version create a new backup which can be imported into OnDemand.

The reason why the import fails is because of the change in usermanagement. (Implementation of embedded crowd)

davidrwood January 28, 2013

Could I avoid the pain of going all the way to 5 by just going to 4.3.x though?

Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2013

We advise to upgrade your data to Jira 5 prior to importing this to OnDemand. The OnDemand environment is in many cases different then the local installation. The conversion from stand-alone to OnDemand (done by the import tool) and the upgrade of data over multiple versions could corrupt the import, we have seen many cases where everything goes ok but also cases where the import failed.

davidrwood February 5, 2013

So to me, it's worth trying just the upgrade to 4.3.x - see if that will import and only if it doesn't, going all the way to 5 on the stand-alone version.

Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2013

No worries David, Please keep in mind that the import will run, it either gives an error along the way or you end up not being able to login anymore. If anything goes wrong please raise a support case with OnDemand support.

davidrwood February 6, 2013

Okay -for the record I updated to 4.3 (which did a lot of of DB related updating) locally. Then dumped the backup and the attachments into OnDemand... and it all worked just fine! :)

I didn't want to go to 5 since 5 required a later version of MySQL and we were decomissioning that machine so didn't want to have to update the DB too.

Thanks for the help! :)

Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
February 13, 2013

Great to hear that David! I'm happy it all worked out :-)

Suggest an answer