Importing existing issues from Jira Server to Jira Cloud with different set of users

Ali Arvanaghi October 16, 2017

I am currently working on importing several projects from JIRA server to JIRA cloud for my organization.  I exported csv files for each project separately.  However, when importing to cloud, I get the critical error that %role (This error repeats for reporter assigned to etc) unassigned could not be found.  This results in a critical error  This would be expected since the server installation spanned several years and many of the staff who reported or worked on the issues are no longer with the organization and will not be added to our cloud install.  The critical error indicates that it will prevent the issue from being imported.  What should I do?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

You could do a bulk update on the server project for that reassigns the reporter and assignee to a user that exists in the cloud.  Reexport from server and import into cloud.

Ali Arvanaghi October 16, 2017

That's a good idea, I was thinking of creating a "dummy" user on the cloud and dumping everything into that and then deleting it to free up the license,.  

My concern is losing the history of each issue and the narrative of how work proceeded and who did it.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

If you do a bulk update that should show in the history.  The only issue is that the history will not transfer over in a CSV export so you will loose that portion no matter what you do.

0 votes
Ali Arvanaghi October 19, 2017

I figured out the issue.  I had multiple users being mapped to "unassigned" I changed this to identifiers on the cloud that did not exist.  They are then mapped to deactivated accounts which don't take up a license.  This solved the issues for our organization.

Suggest an answer