Importing data into excel.

Neeta Dubey March 17, 2014

Hi All,

I have around 11k tickets in my JIRa instance. I want to export that data into excel however will i export it to excel only top 1000 tickets only get imported. Can anyone help me in getting all 11k ticket in a single excel sheet so I can have my data consistent?

thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

Symptoms

From the Issue Navigator, users are unable to export to Excel more than 1000 rows.

Cause

This is a default, configurable limitation.

Resolution

Icon

Attempting to export a large number of search results can result in performance issues. See OutOfMemory or Poor Performance due to XML View of a Filter for a discussion on performance problems.

4.4 and Later
Changing the Default Limit
Icon

It's possible to change this setting permanently. Make sure to heed the note above regarding potential performance impact.

Information

Icon

If the jira-config.properties does not exist under root of the JIRA home directory, please create the file.

The parameters we'll be using below work as per the following:

• jira.search.views.default.max - this is the max that will always show up by default when a user clicks export
  • jira.search.views.max.limit - this is the max for all users, you can export up to this number, but you need to change the&tempMax=XXXX URL parameter to override the default
  • jira.search.views.max.unlimited.group - the group that can export an unlimited amount of issues in excel (the group cannot have a space in it due to this bug:JRA-26088 - Configurations in jira-application.properties breaks if the group name has spaces. VERIFIED )

1. From <jira-home>/jira-config.properties, add the following to increase the number of allowed rows exported to 2000:

jira.search.views.default.max = 2000
    jira.search.views.max.limit = 2000

(warning) Note that the jira.search.views.max.limit value in jira-application.properties must be set at least as high as the desired value.

Icon

This was tested on JIRA 5.2.8

(info) Regardless of the above, users in this group will be able to request search requests that are unlimited. This MUST be a valid group with no spaces JRA-26088 - Configurations in jira-application.properties breaks if the group name has spaces. VERIFIED

jira.search.views.max.unlimited.group = <groupname>
    Icon

When using the unlimited group option, the default max will still be observed. It is the default which is meant to keep the request count down to not overload the system. If you want to export more than the default you will need to modify the URL of the string.

Copy the link of the View option you're trying to use then paste into a new browser window. Change the value at the end to reflect how many entries you'd like to export.

See Limiting the number of issues returned from a search view such as an RSS feed.

4.3 and Before
Changing the Limit on an Individual Request
  1. Right-click the URL for export (either "All Fields" or "Current Fields") and select Copy Link Location. The URL should be similar to:

http://localhost:8080/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-excel-current-fields/temp/SearchRequest.xls?query=ER%5C+&summary=true&description=true&tempMax=1000
  2. Paste that URL into a different browser tab.
  3. Modify tempMax=1000 to the number of preferred rows.
    (warning) Note that the jira.search.views.max.limit value in jira-application.properties must be set at least as high as the desired value.
Changing the Default Limit
Icon

It's possible to change this setting permanently. Make sure to heed the note above regarding potential performance impact.

1. From <jira-install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties, find this section:

##
    # The maximum number of results to issue navigator will request from a query
    # - set this to zero or negative to be unrestricted (note that the server may forbid this, see below)
    ##
    jira.search.views.default.max = 1000
  2. Modify the number from 1000.
  3. For JIRA 4.4 and above, add this parameter in <jira-home>/jira-config.properties; the parameter is jira.search.views.default.max = 1000

OnDemand

It is not possible to make the customizations above in OnDemand due to the Restricted Permissions. Please see an alternative resolution which involves exporting the data in batches in this documentation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2014

Please note that 11,000 is unlikely to work no matter what you set the limit to, unless you really do have a very powerful server with the memory to handle it.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

Yes, the excel data is stored in String ?!? :), so you'll need a really big heap in order to export so many records...

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2014

JIRA Command Line Interface has getIssueList which will produce a csv file. You can also subset the queries and build up a larger csv file using the --append parameter.

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2014
Neeta Dubey March 17, 2014

This page is curently under maintenance. Is there any other KB available that i access quickly?

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2014

It's opening at my side but I'll post its contents here in case you've got troubles accessing it

Suggest an answer