Importing data from OnDemand into our standalone 5.2.11 instance fails

Robert Matthews May 14, 2013

The error is:

This data appears to be from an older version of JIRA. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of JIRA is at build number '854', but the supplied backup file was for build number '6085'.

We have upgraded our JIRA standalone instance to 5.2.11 which is said to directly import the On Demand backup. Only by doing the Restore Backup does the database entries appear (importing a project does not work) making the projects available in my temporary instance of Jira 5.2.11. HOWEVER, I no longer have a selection to Backup the database. The only selection in the Import & Export section is for external system import.

How can I perform a backup that I can then use to import the individual projects into our production standalone JIRA?

Alternately, how can I import each project from the OnDemand data into our existing 5.2.11 data?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Matthews May 19, 2013

As commented, I have a separate sandbox environment. The problem was sequencing in that the sandbox must not have any data already in the database.

Once the import is complete, you MUST login as the 'sysadmin' (the OnDemand sysadmin in group jira-system-administrator) as that is a superuser that is not used in the standalone application to ensure you can then export a backup of the imported data. You cannot run a backup without using this account.

Lastly, to import this new data on a project by project basis, ALL custom fields and configurations that were used in the OnDemand instance must exist in the existing standalone production instance, ohterwise the project imports will fail.

0 votes
Robert Matthews May 15, 2013

I am using a sandbox for my 5.2.11 to import the OnDemand data. My expectation was to do a backup (export) of the data after it was converted to use in 5.2.11. However, the Import/Export controls on the Administration screen have disappeared. (I've opened JSP-160441)

After exporting the former OnDemand data using the 5.2.11 sandbox my plan is to then import individual projects into our production 5.2.11 instance.

0 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

Hey Robert,

Are you merging data from OnDemand to an installed site?

If so, you should setup a separate JIRA instance for importing the OnDemand data and then in turn export a backup from that which you can then import projects from into an existing instance.

The reason for this is that the project import tool requires versions to match up across source and destination instances.

Suggest an answer