Importing csv data to jira by Users (not admins)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2013

Hi All

We have a few users who wish to enter data into jira directly from a csv. Entering data manually is taking an awful lot of time as there are plenty of issues in the csv.

I know we have the importing via csv feature but that is restricted to jira admins.

What are the other options we have?

Rahul

8 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2013

Another dirty trick - convert the data into a Jelly script, dump it on the server and have a jelly service that regularly looks for scripts to import.

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2013

Hi Rahul,

Maybe you can have them create issues using the rest api :

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+Create+Issue

You could even write a small script to automatically create the correct json based on the information in the csv.

Best regards,

Peter

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2013

Yes, you got it wrong. If you use the csv importer you hav two posibilities. The first is to upload data with no ID. The result would be additional new issues. The second one you upload data with existing IDs (issue key) then those issues will be updated.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

How to allow users to import JIRA issues from Excel or CSV - this is an example based JIRA together with Confluence.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

Thanks Udo....I ll update my issue description above...

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2013

Rahul,

Importing issues through csv does not wipe out your existing issues. Importing a project requires you to remove all issues from the current project.

You can not give them only this access, only jira admins have this permission.

Can't you just do it once for them and let them add any new issues manual?

Best regards,

Peter

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

Hi Peter

Unfortunately not, our users want this ability to import issues at least once every week.

Any other solution you can think of?

Rahul

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

I meant that if i use the csv import feature on a project which already has data in it then the existing data in the project gets wiped off.

Correct me if my understand is wrong.

Rahul

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

What do you mean by

> it cannot be used for incremental additions to a project

Suggest an answer