Importing a Backup to Current JIRA

Ankit Patel January 9, 2018

I am looking to import projects from another instance of JIRA into our Server. I went ahead and created a back-up copy. Before I install this on the server, I wanted to know if my current projects will be deleted or will the new projects would be appended? 

Looking to import all the projects and append them along with our projects.

I am sorry if this is already answered, but I was not able to find anything. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

If you use "restore backup", then it will clean out your existing Jira before importing.

If you use "project import", that will import a single project.  You will need to configure the empty project, ready to receive the issues from the backup

Ankit Patel January 9, 2018

Hi Nic, Thanks for the clarification, The issue I am having is that the projects (4) that needs to be imported are on cloud and I need to bring them down to Server. I do not see project export option ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

There is no project export.  You'll need to get a full backup from the admin -> backup/restore section.  Project import can import single projects from that.

Ankit Patel January 12, 2018

Thanks for the confirmation Nic, I am in discusson with team about this. 

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2018

@Ankit Patel, It looks like you may need to export the full instance from cloud and then restore it in its entirety to server.  If you already have a production Jira server  try standing up a second test server, restore your cloud to that server, then export / import individual projects from test to production.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/exporting-issues-802592919.html

.pd

Deepak April 27, 2018

Hello Mr. Peter,

I agree your point but when i have one physical server where it's working but am not taking daily backup because it's not successfully completed. Can you help me how may i take backup or can through done batch file or manually.

pls help me.

Suggest an answer