Importing Subtasks into existing Story

Ken Ng February 28, 2020

Everyone keeps pointing back to this KB article by Nic https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/CSV-Importing-of-sub-tasks-and-linking-to-existing-Story/qaq-p/224226 but it fails to work for me.  So in order to get the parent ID, I did an export and took the value from the Story and placed it below in my test csv file.  Am I using the wrong parent ID here ?  I would think the values you run from the export are the ones you should be using when importing subtasks to an existing story.

Step by step screen shot of each screen.

Annotation.png

mapfields.png

validate.png

validate output.pngerror output.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ken Ng May 1, 2020

This is how you need to setup your spreadsheet / csv for imports of subtasks into an existing story.  I drafted this document so I hope this better explains how this needs to be prepped before importing.

import issues into stories.png

1 vote
Barry Middlebrook September 7, 2021

I'm sorry but exporting to CSV and then importing back into JIRA isn't a "solution". It's an embarrassing Rube Goldberg -style kludge.

Other Agile project management tools have this basic functionality. Atlassian needs to step up and fix this design limitation, not try to sweep it under the rug as "have a workaround".

0 votes
Ashkan Malekly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2020

Suggest an answer