Importing Date Modified/ Date Updated into JIRA through csv file

Qualcomm Support October 7, 2013

I am importing data via csv file using the system importer from the Admin side (not the project admimistration side). I am trying to import the dates of last updated into the system field "Date Modiefied."

This does not work as I had thought and instead the date updated reflects the date that I did the imports on.

Does anyone know how to import dates into the Date Modified field using csv file through the system importer?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

Form a quick look at a source code of JIRA Importers Plugin (responsible for CSV import functionality in JIRA) I conclude that theoretically "Date Modified" (last updated timestamp) should be supported.

However the functionality is quite fragile, as if you import much more than just basic fields, it can be quickly overwritten by subsequent methods (e.g. responsible for custom fields, linking, attachments, etc.).

Does importing just the summary and Date Modified work for you? If yes, then could you try importing first everything (but losing Date Modified) and then, in the second pass, importing (that is updating) just Date Modified? In the second pass you would have to have a CSV file just with two columns: issue key, update date.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Qualcomm Support October 8, 2013

Thank you for the great suggestion. I took your adviced and tried it out and actually figured out what was going wrong.

Apparently when you import with a previous configuration file so that the mapping is already done for you, the updated date does not actually reflect what you have in the csv.

You have to actually manually map the fields yourself in order for the updated date to reflect what you have in the csv.

CRAZY!

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

Sounds like a bug. Could you please raise an issue at https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM and ideally provide sample json config file and CSV file which demonstrates this problem? You can set Security Level to "Reporter and Atlassian Staff only" to make sure that this data is not disclosed publicly, if it's sensitive.

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2018

@Qualcomm SupportWere you able to update the "Modified Date" field in JIRA while importing issues from CSV?

I am trying to import issues using CSV which has updated date and I have mapped them to Modified date during import, but still "Modified date" doesn't gets captured and always reflects time of import.

Like Jordan Beacham likes this
Peter Høgenhaug October 11, 2018

Same for me — I'm trying to affect the Date Modified, but it just puts in the time of the import instead. Any way around this?

Like Jordan Beacham likes this

Suggest an answer