Import to JIRA

M. Haezeleer August 9, 2016

Hey everyone,

I have a problem importing a .CSV file to JIRA. With this import i want to create new projects and new issues. Furthermore i want to keep their structure, this means i want to create subtasks and links between tasks and/or subtasks.

For creating subtasks I need two fields Issue ID and Parent ID. Issue ID should be filled, iff the issue is not a subtask. But i have subtasks that are linked to others and therefore need the ID, how should my CSV import file look?

Has anyone encountered the same problem and/or is able to help me?

Best regards,

Max

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Hi Max,

You'll want to include an Issue ID for every issue that will be linked to (including Sub-tasks) and a field for each issue link type (see How to Import Issue Links from a CSV File) and then map those link fields during import.

Save the .txt configuration file when you're finished, in case you need to go through the process again.

The Issue IDs specified in your CV will then show up in JIRA as 'External Issue ID'.

Here's a sample:

Project TypeProject NameProject KeyIssueTypeSummaryDescriptionFixVersionFixVersionFixVersionIssue IDParent IDPriorityStory pointsStatusOriginal EstimateRemaining EstimateTime SpentReporterAssigneeLink BreaksLink Relates toEpic nameEpic linkDue DateDate Created
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHREpicBuild a whimperingly anomalous angledozerWe need to build a whimperingly anomalous angledozer because the shareholders insist on it.   1 Critical Open   Humberto CampbellAki Frank  anomalousangledozer568  2016.07.20 04:07:43
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRStoryRope swing into waterAs an innocent bystander it would be great to rope swing into water in order to enlighten users as to the benefits of widgetry.   2 Blocker2Open   Aki FrankPablo Stephenson   anomalousangledozer568 2016.07.20 23:07:15
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRBugEverything breaks when I try to spherize the toroidAll versions of iOS   3 Trivial     Pablo Stephenson 6    2016.08.05 09:08:47
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRBugEverything breaks when I try to spherize the toroidAll versions of iOS   4 Critical     Pablo Stephenson 7    2016.07.27 06:07:15
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRBugEverything breaks when I try to spherize the toroidAll versions of iOS   5 Critical     Pablo Stephenson 8    2016.07.22 16:07:27
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRSub-taskMachicolate all failure modes such that we might internalise popularity ratings    62Critical In progress774003962937771Pablo StephensonHumberto Campbell    2016.07.28 10:07:002016.07.21 13:07:51
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRSub-taskDemonstrate everything so that we can tabularise the user interface    72Trivial Open8100081000 Pablo StephensonJosephine Delaney    2016.08.06 18:08:262016.07.21 14:07:58
softwareChiropteran ReconcilementsCHRSub-taskVaccinate a new API so that we can circularise popularity ratings    82Minor Reopened18000437713623Pablo StephensonSebastien Garrett    2016.07.31 13:07:422016.07.21 05:07:59
M. Haezeleer August 10, 2016

Hey Robert,

Thank you very much for your fast reply,

but when i do it like this, i always get the error ... is not of sub-task type it will not be a sub-task of ... . What is going wrong here? But it looks like i get this error even without importing links (just parent/child stucture)

Best regard,

Max

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2016

Max, at the import stage check the box to map your issue type field, and on the next screen make sure that your sub-issue types are mapped to existing sub-issues in your JIRA - I had this same problem. You might need to create sub-issue types in JIRA to map to.

M. Haezeleer August 18, 2016

Hey Robert,

Thank you very much, you were totally right. I had to create a new sub task type and corrected my mapping. Now it works perfectly fine.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2016

Cool!! Glad I was able to help smile

Suggest an answer