During importing project we have an error:
There was a problem parsing the backup XML file at /path/to/jira/backup/Project.xml: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.
Does it means that we have conflict of versions?
Yes. To import the project you'd first need to import the full backup into a test instance in the same version as the target instance. Then, export a new backup from the test and try to import that. See our Restoring a Project from Backup docs:
Project Import Restrictions
The Project Import tool will only import a project between identical instances of JIRA. That is;
- The version of JIRA in which your backup was created must be identical to the version of your target JIRA instance, e.g. if your backup file was created in JIRA 4.0, then your target instance of JIRA must be version 4.0.
- If your instance of JIRA had any custom field plugins (e.g. JIRA Toolkit) installed when the backup file was created and the custom field was used in your project, then your target instance of JIRA must have the same version of the plugins installed for the Project Import tool to automatically work.
If any of these restrictions apply and you still wish to restore your project from backup, you will need to create a compatible backup file before importing your project by following the appropriate instructions below.
JIRA versions do not match
- If your backup file was created in an earlier version of JIRA than your target instance of JIRA:
- Set up a test JIRA instance, which is the same version as your target instance of JIRA. Make sure that the test JIRA instance uses a separate database and index from your target JIRA instance.
- Import the backup file into a test JIRA instance. (This will completely overwrite the test instance.)
- Create a new backup file from your test JIRA instance. You can now use this backup to import a specific project into your target production instance.
- If your backup file is from a later version of JIRA than your target instance of JIRA:
- Upgrade the version of your target instance of JIRA to match the version of JIRA in which the backup was created.
I hope this helps!
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in talking to 20 people planning t...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs