Import needs to modify Jira Change History

I am importing a large amount of data from a different issue tracker into Jira, as a CSV, and I need to bring the change history along. I can place the data into Jira's comments field but that is less than ideal. I need to be able to place the change history from our previous issue tracker into the change history in Jira.

What options are available to do this?

1 answer

0 vote
Dieter Community Champion May 08, 2012

i'm afraid this cannot be done without coding or changing the database directly.

if you are a coder: The class you can use to properly write the change history is ChangeLogUtils. You can find a lot of code examples when you google for ChangeLogUtils. e.g I have found: as an example how the bugzilla importer writes the old bugzilla id to the change history. If you have a commercial license please search for ChangeLogUtils and you surely find many useful examples in Jira builtin importers

Another option is to write directly to the database tables changegroup and changeitem but in this case you must take care to update the sequence_value_item table properly. Always take a backup of your db before you do such a dangerous operation Also you should change the database directly only when Jira is not running and afterwards you have to reindex. Please read more about the database way to do it at

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 09, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

E.L. Fridge's take on education, Jira Service Desk, and creative Jira use cases

...word of mouth, so by 2016, we were working with several other entities on campus to implement Jira Service Desk . The Atlassian motto of “for every team” has really come true for us in this case. We...

356 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot