Import just the custom fields and schemes in JIRA

hemanth acharya July 6, 2014

Hi,

We have two JIRA instances. In one instance we have a Project "x" which contains custom fields. I am trying to import this Project onto another instance. Now, the Project import works out fine, but the custom fields I had in Project "x" seemed to have not been copied onto this instance.

Question is :

1) Doesn't importing Project between instances should create/copy the non existing custom fields in the other instance?

2) Do we have to manually create all the custom fields in the other instance before we import? We have lot of custom fields created in one instance.

3) Is there any work around?

Below is the sample of the error.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2014

1. No, the project import assumes that you've set up all of the structure the project needs.

2. Yes, you need to create everything

3. Not off-the-shelf. But have a look at the Botron configuration manager, which is designed for this sort of config migration - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.botronsoft.jira.configurationmanager

Thanks @nic.. Rather than using a plugin, cant I use any existing API for the same? Please suggest if any.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2014

Only the internal API exposes the functions you need to do this sort of import/export stuff in full, so you'd need to write an addon to do it.

Thanks @nic

Suggest an answer