Import from XML

Eric Perchuk February 15, 2015

Hi,

I am trying to migrate my existing JIRA project to cloud hosting.  I was able to export my existing project in XML format.  However, for some reason, JIRA cloud based hosting does not seem to support importing a project from XML - the only option that I can find for exporting a server based JIRA project.

Can someone please explain to me how I can move my existing server-based JIRA project to JIRA cloud hosting?

Thank you,

Eric

1 answer

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2015

Hi,

Currently it's not possible to import JIRA projects on Cloud, as per our Restricted Functions.

We have, however, a step-by-step workaround on how to Import Projects from JIRA Server:

I hope it helps, please let us know if you face any problems while following this steps.

Thanks!

Eric Perchuk February 16, 2015

I have to say I'm extremely surprised that this feature is not supported and most likely I will not be able to use JIRA cloud hosting as a result. I only chose JIRA cloud hosting in the first place because it seemed like this would be a straightforward process, but clearly it is not, and I've already wasted several hours trying to migrate my data. I looked over the instructions you provided and frankly they don't make very much sense. Step 3 indicates that I should export data from my JIRA cloud server to my JIRA Server. I don't have any data in my JIRA cloud and I don't see why this would possibly be a necessary step for exporting my data from JIRA Server to JIRA cloud. In step 9 it says that I should export my data from JIRA server and just links me back to the original article which explains how to export the data in XML. There's also a small section that indicates I can backup the data directly from the database. However there is absolutely no information on how this can be done, and JIRA cloud doesn't support SQL files as an import type anyway. Can you please clarify?

Suggest an answer