Import existing Jira project into BigPicture

Paul Mason August 17, 2014

Hi.

I have some projects in Jira and Jira Agile.

I have now installed BigPicture, and would like to import my current project sinto it.

But, in BigPicture, I am unable to see my Jira projects?

However, if I create a project in BigPicture, I CAN see this in Jira.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Darren Patel February 1, 2018

Revisiting this ticket - wanted to import a project into existing Bigpicture Program

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2018

import from what?

Darren Patel February 10, 2018

Import an existing JIRA project into an existing Bigpicture program please

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

the method is not importing the PROJECT, the method is importing the issues .  create a filter that includes all the issues you wish to import.  then in BP, in BigGantt, create a new Program that uses that filter as its scope.

https://wiki.softwareplant.com/display/DOCUMENTATION/Data+Scope

Frankie Mendoza December 10, 2019

what if the Program is already been created with the initial issues imported. 1 week later a new project is created and would like to add to the existing program? is that doable? Thanks in advance.

Frankie Mendoza December 10, 2019

I figured it out. Program Configuration -> General -> Scope Definition, add the new project under Project window. I currently have 2 projects there now. Is there a limit on how many issues can be imported into a program?

Like ariel.hercik likes this
Matt Keenan January 24, 2020

I'm still confused.

Say I create a Program with a saved filter as then only item specified in initial scope definition, something like :
    "Epic Link" in (MYEPIC-1, MYEPIC-2) AND issuekey in (MYEPIC-1, MYEPIC-2)

Program is created and all issues linked with epics MYEPIC-1 and MYEPIC-2 get loaded including the two epics themselves.

Two questions:

1. How do you easily add new tasks into the program ?
If a Jira issue gets created outside of BigPicture, and it is linked to MYEPIC-1, I would expect reloading the Program should result in that task appearing in the bigpicture. But I'm not seeing this happen. How do I get these new tasks to appear in my program ?

2. Similarly to Add, how does one easily remove issues from a program, I understand a simple delete when in Gantt or Scope view would result in the issue itself getting deleted. Plus if that worked then the Scope Definition saved filter would not be accurate. What if I wanted to remove an epic and all linked tasks ?
I tried updating the saved filter to not include MYEPIC-2 and associated tasks:
       "Epic Link" in (MYEPIC-1) AND issuekey in (MYEPIC-1)

This did nothing, MYEPIC-2 and it's linked issues still appear in my program.

There really should be an intuitive and simple means of adding and removing tasks from a program. Which is not the case right now, at least that I can see.

Matt Keenan January 28, 2020

To remove items you must enable "Remove Tasks Not In Scope" and ensure the tasks you want removed are not returned by Saved JQL query or contained on your board. Then select Data->Resync.

To add items just ensure those issues are returned by your Saved JQL query as defined in your scope definition, and then select Data->Resync for them to appear in your program.

There are other synchronization options, in particular the "Parent-Child Link [SYSTEM]" will ensure child tasks that a linked with a particular epic will appear nested under that Epic in your program.

Лилия August 1, 2020

@Matt Keenan hello! can you help me with the same question?

How do you easily add new tasks into the program ?
If a Jira issue gets created outside of BigPicture, and it is linked to MYEPIC-1, I would expect reloading the Program should result in that task appearing in the bigpicture. But I'm not seeing this happen. How do I get these new tasks to appear in my program ?

I can't find Data->Resync

how can I  reloading the Program after adding new tasks outside from BigPicture? thank you

Mateusz Sołowianiuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2020

Hi @Лилия 

Please verify the Scope Definition of your program and make sure that the newly created issue meets the criteria specified there. If it does, the new tasks should be automatically populated to your program and visible after the page is refreshed. 

If it is not displayed after the page is refreshed, you may need to Re-sync program data (action only available to administrators). If this does not work, please raise a ticket via our Service Desk. 

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mateusz Sołowianiuk

SoftwarePlant Support

0 votes
Tom Kucharski _SoftwarePlant_ November 12, 2014
apriscan May 12, 2020

obviously this topic is not covered well in the GUI if it keeps recurring...

Like keith_emery likes this
apriscan May 12, 2020

BTW, this link is broken

Pete Roman July 29, 2020

The article Tom linked up does not exist anymore. Documentation was rebuilt back in 2018. I believe this will help:

https://wiki.softwareplant.com/display/DOCUMENTATION/Program+Configuration+-+General+-+Scope+definition

Cheers,

Pete

Like # people like this
0 votes
Esteve Rodríguez August 23, 2014

Hi! I am with the same issue.

If somebody has any solution...

Thanks

0 votes
Paul Mason August 18, 2014

Can anyone help with this?

Suggest an answer