Import and Export issues from old JIRA to new JIRA

Hey, community; I hope not to be ignored.

I am running into a really mind-blowing thing. I have two productive JIRA instances. One is a 4.4.4 v and the another is 7.2.2 v. So, I want to migrate some issues from my 4.4.4 Jira instance to my 7.2.2. I've tried the CSV way, but looks like when I export the issues from the old jira to the new one, it doesn't give mappping fields.

Is there any known way in which I can export full issues with description and comments from my 4.4 to my 7.2?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

2 answers

0 vote
Tyler Brown Community Champion Sep 21, 2017

Hey Holis,

I'm not very familiar with how 4.4.4 works, but is there a Export (All Fields) option?  If so, you should be able to capture all of the information you need (Description and Comments will be 2 of the columns in the CSV)

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Thanks for the quick answer, Tyler.

I already tried the all fields option, but I get some custom issue types and custom fields that are shared for other projects, but not for my specific one. Well, that actually doesn't matter too much.

But, I  can't get the comments anyway. 

I can't use tools like xml backup or similiar ones, because it is necessary JIRA versions to be the same, otherwise it's not going to work.

Another thing I've figured out is that JIRA 4.4 doesn't give a CSV export oprtion directly, instead, it offers an excel export. It means that once it is exported, I have to convert from excel to csv, and when I am going to import the generated CSV to my test JIRA 7.2, it doesn't give me any mapping options. Looks like the export formart/structure in 4.4 is too different in comparison to 7.2.

Is there anyway in which I can "homologate" this exports, to be able of importing the export from 4.4 to 7.2?

Curious (and obvious) note: If I export issues from a 7.x Jira, I can easily import them in another 7.x Jira; it gives all the mapping options and that stuff (But not getting comments anyway).

I have been trying random stuff since this week to make this work, but I haven't caught it yet.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

620 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you