Import an old 3.x xml backup into a new 6.x Jira

Deleted user July 26, 2015

I have an old JIRA 3.x with no extra plugins and simple workflows.

Now I want to switch to a new JIRA 6.x . I searched answers.atlassian.com and the JIRA documentation, specially the import section but I only found tips how to restore projects. But I found nothing about importing old xml data into a new Jira.

Is it possible to export the 3.x  the data into an XML file and import this into the 6.x Jira? Has anyone tried this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2015

It's too old.  Even if it's JIRA 3.13, you'll want to import it into 4.4, then 5.2 then 6.something.  You may be able to skip the 5.2, but that doesn't always work.  And if it's lower than 3.13, you should go via 3.13 first.

0 votes
Deleted user July 26, 2015

Darren and Nic, thank you for the fast answers. I know the update procedure very well but in this case I thought: No plugins, only a few data, maybe ...

But it is OK, I will run through the upgrade procedure as I always do.

0 votes
Darren Pegg July 26, 2015

Hi,

This will not work, I would install a 2nd instance of JIRA 3.x and upgrade it to version 6.x by using evals unless you have a full license however you will need Atlassian to sort you with a new key if yours is still valid as the licence itself changes after version 4.x I believe.

You could however do an export of JIRA issues, cleanse it and make it fit for a CSV import and import that way though you will lose comments and attachments won't work unless you import in the actual JIRA issue keys along with the correct Project Name/Key as they are now.

With this you will need any customisation in JIRA 3.x to be in 6.x, custom fields, workflow statuses etc to be present for the mappings to work.

Darren

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events