Import a project from Jira Server to Jira Cloud

Roberto Roberto December 12, 2017

I have a project with several active sprints on the Jira Server.

I export the project to a (CSV), and when I import (CSV) into the Jira cloud, it loses the sprint reference. All the stories and tasks go to the backlog.

What do I do?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2017

Hi Roberto,

The best way to migrate a project from Server to Cloud is to use the directions in How to import a project from a JIRA Server application to a JIRA Cloud application:

As per Restoring a Project from Backup, the JIRA Server applications need to run identical versions in order to import the project successfully (please check all the requirements). This means we may need to prepare two JIRA Server applications for importing if your JIRA Server application is not in the latest version available. To do this:

1. Follow Migrating from Jira Cloud to Server applications to setup a staging JIRA Server application, using the data from your JIRA Cloud application. We'll refer this Server application as Staging JIRA A from here.
  2. Create a backup of your current JIRA Server application as detailed in Backing up data.
  3. If your current JIRA server application is the same version as the one setup in step 1, proceed to step 6. Otherwise, continue with the steps below.
  4. Setup a new instance of JIRA Server, using the backup from step 2 to restore (and upgrade) the instance. Follow the guide in Upgrading JIRA applications to do this. We're going to call this Staging JIRA B.
  5. Once the upgrade is successfully completed, generate a backup for Staging JIRA B.
  6. Follow the Restoring a project from backup guide to restore all the required projects from Staging JIRA B to A using the backup that was generated.
  7. Our Importing issues docs instruct how to take the data from Staging JIRA A and restore it to the JIRA Cloud application. This will completely overwrite the Cloud application and erase all existing data. Please keep this in mind.

There is an open Suggestion to support for "Single Project" imports into JIRA Cloud.  Please be sure to vote on JRACLOUD-31806 to add impact so we can get this feature added to JIRA.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer