Import XML data from JIRA 4.3.4 to 6.2

MilanCiti May 18, 2014

Hello

Is it possible to import data from XML backup made in JIRA 4.3.4 to new instance 6.2.3 ? I have set up test environment , so I would like to migrate data there. I have XML backup and snapshot of jira home directory ( attachments,indexes...).

Any known issues, before I proceed with trying it out ? Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Milan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

Yes... See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Using+a+Rapid+Upgrade+Methodto begin with.

Now, the good news is that 4.3 to 6.2 can be done in one go, but that only applies to the core, unmodified Jira. If you've added plugins to 4.3, you can run into problems if you try to do it all in one go. I'd test the procedure documented above first, but I'd plan for going via one of the v5 versions if you do run into trouble.

MilanCiti May 18, 2014

At the moment, I am checking the following link, as well. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Known+Issues+For+Oracle

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

Good plan.

I'd also have a read of the release notes for versions of Jira you are skipping. Nothing heavy, just skim them for anything that might apply to you, and I'd only read the major/minor notes, not the bugfix/point-releases (i.e. 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, not 5.0.0, 5.0.1 etc)

MilanCiti May 18, 2014

Good point, regarding plugins, then this is next point to check. Ok, I'll give it try. Thanks Nic.

MilanCiti May 18, 2014

I've just done plugin compatibility check for upgrade to 6.2.3 and got following -> These plugins have updates that are compatible with JIRA 6.2.3, but are not compatible with your current version of JIRA. To proceed with your upgrade safely, we recommend that you disable these plugins, perform the product upgrade, and then upgrade these plugins after your product upgrade is complete. There are only two : JIRA Subversion plugin and Column Order Gadget Plugin.

Should I follow advice provided ?

Regards,

Milan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2014

Sounds right to me. With the comments that

1. The Subversion plugin is really easy to shift versions. It creates a local index inside Jira, so if you remove it, you just lose a read-only display. When putting it back, it'll go off and churn for a while re-indexing, but it won't cause you much problems. However, I *have* run into upgrade issues with it, and I can strongly recommend complete removal before attempting the upgrade.

2. You will probably find you don't even need the column order gadget in 6.2

MilanCiti May 18, 2014

Ok, thank you for your help today.

Regards,

Milan

Suggest an answer