Import Jira Issues exported from Vendors Jira System

Phillip Baird August 26, 2015

Hi, the organisation I work for has a number of external vendors who run Jira Systems.

I have been asked to see if it is possible to share Issue information between ourselves using the Jira Export/Import features.

The most convinient Export method I have found is the Issue XML Export but I have not been able to find any useful documentation on whether it is possible to import the Issue XML into another system.

Is it possible to import the Issue XML into a Jira system that was Exported from another?

I am operating under the following conditions:

1. I cannot guarantee the Jira versions match

2. We have no say in what Add-ons the external vendors may or may not have

3. This is for single Issues only, we do NOT want to perform a full restore from a Project backup XML file as all the documentation I have seen so far describes.

If this is not possible, what would be a suggested method?

Regards,

Phil Baird

2 answers

0 votes
Phillip Baird August 27, 2015

Hi Gabrielle, thank you for response.

Unfortunately,  our JIRA system is locked down behind the corporate firewall and the JIRA instances have no visibilty of each other therefore we cannot link the two.

The other isssue we have is there is no way our Information Security team will agree to linking our JIRA instance toi an external vendors JIRA instance even if we could.

Hence we are investigating the Issue Export/Import as a potential method of sharing Issues.

Regards,

Phil Baird

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2015

You can use the native CSV Importer or the add-on JIRACLI for bulk create

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2015
How will the information being shared/used? Do they just want to sync the tickets? How often? You have options to: 
  • Link the tickets - you can link JIRA instances with each other (using Application Links) and link tickets between them. So a ticket that exists in JIRA Instance A can have an outgoing link to a ticket in JIRA Instance B.
  • Create Automation - a plugin or a script that can create/copy the issues for your on the desired JIRA Project (using the JIRA REST API).

If my suggestions are not on point, it might be I do not understand your requirement clearly. You may add more details if you wish. But as long as linking information between JIRA instances is concerned, I will go with the native "ticket links". 

Suggest an answer