It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Import JIRA project from new to older version

I have an older version of JIRA (about a year old) which is our working master version of JIRA.  I have a project from a new (trial version) of JIRA that I need to import into the old. 

Presumably the cleanest way to do this would be to use the export and import feature, but all the documentation simply states that there the two versions must be identical. That is not an option in this case.

I would like a work around for this.  Ideally this would be without just doing a csv record dump and recreate the project (with it's unique flows, statuses, etc) on the existing system.

All the posts I've come across (one dating back to 2011) discuss installing same versions, which doesn't strike me as a solution, rather a rigid standing-by-your-guns that it can't be successfully done.  I would hope that 8 years later, there'd be some function or tool or something to ease export and import of a project between differing versions of JIRA.

1 answer

1 vote

Off the shelf, your only option is to upgrade the "master" version to match the newer one (which you should do anyway, as your master version is likely to be insecure and less functional)

There are a couple of tricks, but they all absolutely require similar versions to be in use.  (For example, you might have success going from 7.12 down to 7.9, but 7.10 to 7.5 will fail because priority schemes arrived in 7.8.  8.something to 7.something is a complete non-starter)

• Use an app like Project Configurator or Configuration manager to do the export/import
  • Edit the xml of your full export and change the version it is reporting

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

841 views 5 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you