Import JIRA 4.2.x XML file to OnDemand

Steven Jones March 1, 2013

We have a current OnDemand subscription. We need to move our existing projects from a JIRA 4.2.x install (on another group's server) to this new environment. The XML export file (from JIRA 4.2.x) is 48MB. I thought getting a Download version of JIRA would allow me to access this data, prune projects which belong to another group in our company, then export this file to OnDemand. (I looked at the supported import options OnDemand offered and did not see XML as a supported import format.)

When I try this I get the error message: This data appears to be from an older version of JIRA. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of JIRA is at build number '850', but the supplied backup file was for build number '587'.

How do I upgrade the data?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2013

Hi Steven,

I believe this is due to the big difference between your current standalone version (4.2) and the OnDemand.

Could you please try importing your XML backup to the latest standalone version first (5.2.7) and then restoring into OnDemand an XML backup created on the upgraded environment?

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Steven Jones March 7, 2013

Importing my older XML backup into the latest Download version upgraded my older data from 4.2.x JIRA so I could then upload the zipped data to my WebDAV folder, then import the data into my OnDemand subscription. Working like a charm now!

Suggest an answer