Import: How do I map 'Issue Key', 'Status', and 'Resolution' in CSV to Jira?

haisamido February 12, 2017

I have the below CSV in a file, and I want to preserve the values of 'Issue Key', 'Status' and 'Resolution' when I import. How do I do that?  I can't find a way to map 'Issue Key', 'Status' or 'Resolution' into JIRA without JIRA automatically assigning a new 'Issue Key', 'Status' is 'TO DO', and 'Resolution' to 'Unresolved'.  I'm using 'atlassian-jira-software-7.3.1-standalone'

Issue Key,Component,Fix Versions,Layer,Summary,Description,Assignee,Reporter,Issue Type,Priority,Status,Resolution
ABC-135,appserver,201701,Data,foo,foo,user1,user1,Enhancement,High,Done,Rejected
ABC-140,aws,201701,Presentation,foobar,foobar,user1,user1,Discrepancy,Medium,In Progress,Unresolved
ABC-139,web portal,201701,Logic,bar,bar,user1,user1,Requirement,Low,Done,Completed

It's this problem https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/missing-fields-to-map-during-import-issues-to-csv-operation-720420577.html and the 'Solution' doesn't work

3 answers

3 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

Hi @Haisam Ido,

There are two ways to import CSV in JIRA

1) Under the issues section - "Import issues from CSV"

2) Under external system import (requires admin rights)

If you use the second option(admin rights) you will see fields like Status, Assignee, Resolution etc which are not available if you try to import  via the first option.

Similar question here - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9866203

Enrique Eder December 7, 2017

Hi @Tarun Sapra,

I am using the second option, and I do see the Assignee option, but not Resolution or Status... Do you know why this could be happening?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2017

Status and resolution must exist in JIRA for you to be able to map them. 

Have you got Rejected and Completed resolutions in Admin -> Resolutions?  And the three status under admin -> status?

For status, the status must also be used by workflows for the issue types you have mapped for the issues

Key will not be imported, it is generated by JIRA according to the project you are importing it into.  If you specifiy and map a key in an import, then the import is treated as an update to an existing issue.

haisamido February 12, 2017

Yes they all exist. I think you misunderstood my question.

My question is about the lack of ability to map (via the dropdown) from my CSV's  'Issue Key', 'Status', and 'Resolution'. to JIRA's 'Issue Key', 'Status', and 'Resolution'.

Like Peťa likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2017

Sorry, I guess I don't understand what you mean by "map".

I can import CSV using the fields just fine.

Alec.Puype June 6, 2017

I have same problem.  I would like to update existing Jira tickets with values in a CSV file, but it is not possible to map the Issue Key (though in the atlassian documentation, it is mentioned it is possible: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-csv-802592885.html).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

Are you using the project level importer or the full CSV importer?

Alec.Puype June 6, 2017

I now used the full CSV importer in the admin module and problem solved indeed (thanks to Tarun Sapra below).

It would be great if documentation at least mentions this issue...Saves quite some time in investigation.

Tks

Alec

Tarun Sapra June 6, 2017

Hi Alec,

Could you please, accept/upvote the answer if it works for you now.

Thanks,

tarun

Matthew Leach October 25, 2017

+1 Alec - long story short, you cannot update issues using the "Import Issues from CSV" under the Issue menu if you're not a since you cannot map the key field. Basically you can only create new issues using that function.  The documentation needs to be updated, and I would recommend adding this ability via the "Import Issues from CSV" routine. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hugo November 29, 2017

Some answwer for this issue?

I can't import issue Resolution field, there is not this field to map during import wizard.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer