Import/Export of OnDemand JIRA projects to another instance - Is Confluence affected?

Michael Bengston May 27, 2014

Hello,

I have two OnDemand setups. Both have JIRA and Confluence. I plan to follow the procedure at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ONDEMANDKB/Migrating+projects+from+one+OnDemand+instance+to+another to import the projects from our current OnDemand into the new one. My question is this - will the Confluence OnDemand be affected by the "Clean new instance" process? As in, if I export a backup of JIRA Ondemand and import it into the new JIRA OnDemand instance, will Confluence be affected at all on either instance? I'm hoping not, but wanted to make sure before I begin the process.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

You can think of each system as being distinct and discrete. Almost everything you export/import in Jira will not affect Confluence, and vice-versa.

However, if you have integrated them, you could well have some "fun". If you've used the proper integrations, you will need to change them to match the new systems and you'll be ok, but it's quite common for people not to do this properly.

For example, if Jira1 and Confluence1 have application links to each other, when you import Jira1 data into Jira2, the application links in Jira2 will still point to Confluence1. Correcting the application links to use the same name, but point to Confluence2 will fix the issues using that integration, but you'll need to think about "hard" links where people have used full urls to point to Confluence1 and you might want to check all the user macros and so-on in Confluence to make sure they point to the new JIra2.

Michael Bengston May 28, 2014

Perfect answer, thanks Nic

Suggest an answer