Import/Export between Jira instances

Brian Watson October 29, 2013

I would like to find out how I can import project, issues, user stories into a Jira instance from another Jira instace. In other words, Jira A contains project info that needs to be imported into Jira B - and I need to retain the hirearchies and issue #'s from Jira A (if at all possible)

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Geoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2013

You can do this with the Project Import tool natively in JIRA.

Basically you take an XML dump of JIRA A and point the Project Import in JIRA B at it.
Select the project you want, work through a couple of screens to make sure everything is available (fields, users etc) and then import.

Both JIRA A & B need to be at the same version
Full instructions here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

If JIRA A & B are the same version but have different field configurations etc, try out "Project Configurator": https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator
or "Configuration Manager for JIRA" https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.botronsoft.jira.configurationmanager
to get them synced up first.

If this is your first time trying this process, test it out in a separate environment first to get the process down before trying in production.

Brian Watson November 4, 2013

Geoff,

Thanks for this. I just want to clarify one thing. This will work if I want only certain projects from Jira A to import to Jira B? Jira B already has a number of projects, so they should be undisturbed, correct?

Thanks for your help1

Geoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2013

Correct, existing projects will be undisturbed. Just make sure you read through the instructions.

You may need to do a couple of workarounds if you have projects in B with the same Name / Key as projects that you want to import from A (essentially modifying the XML dump).

0 votes
José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2016

The new version 2.0 of Project Configurator for JIRA lets you export one project, or a group of them, and then import those projects into another instance. Both operations (import and export) are offered directly by this plugin, which will take care to manage required configuration changes and data & attachments export and import. Thus, the process described by @Geoff Jacobs [GLiNTECH] in his answer becomes very simplified.

The export process will exclude data belonging to projects which are not exported, so it will be more efficient than the standard JIRA backup.

(DIsclaimer: I lead the team behind Project Configurator)

0 votes
Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

@brian: Perhaps the Export Manager for JIRA add-on can help you with your migration. This will allow you to retrieve exports from instance A and upload them to instance B without having to connect to the remote servers.

Geoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

Looks interesting. Any plans to update so we can test it out on JIRA 6.1.x?

Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

@geoff: we can defintely add support for JIRA 6.x. I will keep you posted on the availability of the updated add-on (hopefully somewhere beginning next week).