Import Bugzilla data into an already running JIRA OnDemand

Jesus Vega April 24, 2012

Hi everyone,

Recently we started using JIRA OnDemand for some of our new projects, before that we where using Bugzilla.

Now we have decided to use JIRA as our only ticketing/tracking system.

I've read some documentation regarding how to import existing Bugzilla data into JIRA, and as far as I know, i have to use a local instance of JIRA, execute the import process there and then backup and restore all the instance data into the OnDemand version.

From what i know, importing a backup file implies losing all previos data in the destination instance, so the right approach to do it seems to:

• Export current data from JIRA OnDemand
  • Import it into our local instance.
  • Perform import process from Bugzilla to our local instance
  • Backup local data
  • Restore it into JIRA OnDemand.

¿Are these steps correct, or woudld another approach be better?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2012

Hi Jesus,

Those steps are correct, however the main problem is that we only perform exports of your data if you're closing your OnDemand account (due to the time it takes a support engineer to perform this manually).

We are currently working on a backup manager that will allow customers to export their own JIRA/Confluence data without restriction. This should be available in a number of weeks.

An alternative method would be to export your Bugzilla data as CSV and import it via JIRA's CSV importer. Although this won't include attachments.

Jesus Vega April 25, 2012

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regarding the possibility of using the CSV importer, it's not an option for us, because by losing attachments we would be losing very important context information.

Have you any scheduled date for the delivery of this Backup Manager functionality? And, are you planning to include these Bugzilla import functionality in the OnDemand version as well?

Thanks in advance!

Jesús

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2012

Hi Jesús,

We don't have a specific date scheduled in yet, so I don't have a date to give you unfortunately. We are hoping to get Bugzilla import functionality included in OnDemand, but I don't have information on whether that's being worked on in the short term.

0 votes
Dave Peacock November 29, 2012

Greetings,

I'm currently trying to achieve something like this also. We have an OnDemand server, and trying to migrate Bugzilla data over to it. Not having a lot of luck so far.

I've got a standalone server running. I started to import data exported from OnDemand to this standalone/eval server, tho unfortunately that seems to be 5.2.1.813, and OnDemand is 5.2.1.812, and this was causing some grief on importing. I don't see any possibilities for downloading 5.2.1.812, so for now i hacked the entities.xml in the project backup to look like it's .813.

But this doesn't get me too much further, as Project Import doesn't support new entity types, and my colleague has already defined dozens of custom issue types and custom fields and things.

I'd initially tried doing a restore on the standalone server with a backup of the OnDemand instance, and this has all data, but at this point some functionality is missing (I only have access to import external projects, i can not export to re-import into the OnDemand instance.)

Any advice or links are appreciated here. I guess i'll look into some sort of CSV import into the live OnDemand instance, but are there guidelines or docs on how best to do this? I'm a little perplexed at how the Bugzilla import seems fully supported in standalone but absent from OnDemand. I guess these two differ substantially?

many thanks in advance

dave

Suggest an answer