Implementing a "Rating" Field in Jira

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2012

Hi

I was curious if there is a way tp support rating in Jira .

I'd like to implement a field similar to the YELP Rating -- which anyone can mark the star rating of some ticket (1 to 5 stars).

We'd also want to set up some sort of filter/report for summaries, etc.

I saw an old plugin for Jira 3.x -- but nothing recently.

Anyone ever try this?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2012

Ranking - no and yes. Because the Greenhopper plugin includes a "ranking" field, with loads of functionality around it, plugins that provide something like it have pretty much dried up.

I'm not sure what YELP means to you, but a star rating is that - a rating, rather than a rank. Yes, you can put them in rating order, but there's groups at each rating level (rank has a single unique value). You can do that with a simple custom field though, or even re-use priority! A select list will let you say "1 star, 2 star, 3 star" etc and then let you filter and report automatically.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2012

Thanks -- I meant rating -- I updated language of question. So -- if we went the custom field route -- how would that enable multiple people to "rate" the same issue?

I don't care about Yelp per se -- just looking to support similar functionality

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2012

Ah, no, that's different, I think you'll need a bit of coding to do that. Custom fields contain a simple item of data.

To do what you need, you're going to need to store a number (1-5) for each user separately, and then display an average (mean I expect?) on view. Even the built-in "votes" field just stores the user name, so that it can prevent multiple voting.

Or, you could do it in workflow - have transitions with ratings, post-functions that recalculate the value, and store the fact a user has voted (add to a multi-user picker field) and a condition that blocks the transitions if someone has already voted, but that feels clunky to me.

1 vote
Sam Martens September 15, 2013

Hi,

I need exactly the same functionality. Could you let me know how you eventually solved it?

0 votes
Thomas VIAL October 28, 2014

Same here. I found this JIRA rating plugin, but not sure it's the best way...