Images Missing from Email Notifications

Chris Bye December 16, 2016

Have noticed that screenshots (which are in PNG format) that show up properly as actual inline images in the issue in JIRA are not showing up in the email notifications for the issues. Example shown here - note the "?" where the images should be:

image2016-12-16 16:49:21.png

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Bye December 19, 2016

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I read over JRA-41675 and that in particular sounds exactly like what we're experiencing. That is, add an image to a description, expect to see that image in the email notification, and then only see a missing image in the email notification. We're experiencing it with Chrome / Mac Mail; however another user is more of an IE / Outlook person while yet another is a Firefox / Thunderbird user. The problem exists on all platforms.

Sounds like Atlassian folks are working on it; however reading the frustration on that thread exhibited by long-time users is a little alarming. We are brand new to JIRA and really like it so far; however, it sounds like they can be slow to resolve these kinds of issues.

0 votes
Karalee Kikiros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2016

Hi Chris, it could be one of two things. One is that the emails haven't been set up to send as HTML. The other is really two things but since they both relate to Outlook, I'll combine them as one smile 

1. Outlook may not be downloading the images although if it's downloading the other icons, I don't think that's it. Nevertheless, checking that it is set up to download images won't hurt
  2. You are not using IE. This is normally a Very Good Thing when it comes to JIRA but for Outlook, not so much as it would use the IE authentication to log into JIRA and pull out the images (in simple terms). You could try logging into JIRA using IE and having the Remember Me box checked and then seeing what an email notification looks like. 

If those two things do not fix it, then I suspect it is this outstanding bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41675 

Karalee Kikiros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2016

Suggest an answer