If the status of a task changes in JIRA, will it update itself in Portfolio?

Valerie Boudreau July 28, 2015

I've changed a task from IN PROGRESS to DONE in JIRA. I don't see the update in JIRA Portfolio, the task is still IN PROGRESS. Am I supposed to refresh somewhere to have all my updates from JIRA show up in Portfolio?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2015

Hi Valerie, 

Updates on the JIRA issues do not automatically update JIRA Portfolio. The idea is basically to have very explicit visibility into these updates, and do them in bulk on a regular basis. For this purpose, there is the "Plan > Update from date" capability. In our team, we run that after every sprint, opening the dialog gives you a list of everything that changed in JIRA meanwhile, i.e., issues that have been resolved, or remaining estimates that have been reduced. You can review these updates, and then  confirm them into the plan. Also, as part of that you are setting a new date from where to plan "forward" again, so for example if you update on a friday, you could choose the following monday as the update date and then all the remaining efforts that are left, will be scheduled starting from Monday. In this way your plan does not get "distorted" in the sense of keeping the same start date, and efforts reduce constantly so your scheduled end dates don't match anymore. 

Best, Martin | Product Manager, JIRA Portfolio 

Valerie Boudreau July 29, 2015

This is the information I was seeking. Thank you very much Martin.

Domagoj Filipovic March 12, 2017

Do you mind pointing out where the "Plan > Update from date" is?

0 votes
Rodrigo Silva
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2015

Hi Valerie, 

I believe you need to see if the notification scheme it configured properly:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

Do you have permissions to see updates? 

Maybe raising a ticket to Atlassian Support would be more effective in your case.

Cheers,

Rodrigo Silva | Cloud

Suggest an answer