If i have 1 member, in 2 teams, how does velocity take into account him working on different projects?

Aaron Steinmetz November 17, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Settings estimates with story points

Lets say Winston is a member of two teams. First, the Sharks with Greg. The Second, the Tigers with Anatoly. Both the Sharks and Tigers are set to a velocity of 100 points.

If i create an epic/stories under Initiative A and assign them to Winston... how fast will he work on them according to the schedule? Presumably at 50 points velocity.

Will my stories in Initiative B, which is assigned to the Tigers (Winston and Anatoly), will they be scheduled after he's finished with Initiative A? I'd imagine Portfolio would have Initiative B working at 50 points velocity, because it knows Winston is working on A instead. Despite Winston being a part of both teams. ?

Apologies if my question isn't clear.

1 answer

0 votes
Aaron Steinmetz November 21, 2016

I played around with this. The answer is that Portfolio presumes Winston will be doing 50 points for the Sharks, AND 50 points for the Tigers - at the same time. So it presume he's double the speed of your mortal coder.

So it appears i should set his velocity to be 25 points for each team, whos velocities will now be 75 points each. However i have to be careful to also drop Winston's working hours to 20 per week per team, otherwise Portfolio would presume both Greg and Winston now offer 37.5 points for the Sharks... which wouldn't have been right.

Now i'm wondering how a different sprint length for each team will affect his assignment/capacity planning.

Suggest an answer