If I upgrade/update Jira does that also update Confluence?

Jason Ferris February 4, 2020

Hello,

I asked a question about updating Jira as we run 7.8 and I need to update to a supported version. I found links for updating and processes. However I was told to look out for any customizations as that would be things we would need to make sure worked afterwards.  Can anyone point out what "Customizations" these may be because when I asked my team members they said we really don't have much for customizations but I still need to know what that would be. 

In addition to that, I would want to update Jira Core I presume if updating Jira and my follow up question is does this affect confluence in any way or is that a separate update/upgrade? We run Jira on a server and Confluence on another. So they are not in the cloud but at some point we may do that. 

Thank you to anyone that can help!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

The things to check before upgrading are:

• Any Jira addons/apps that you have installed.  Check they are compatible with the new version and work after upgrade.
  • If you use any scripts within Jira (e.g. via ScriptRunner or similar plugin) you will need to test all of these following upgrade.
  • Any installation customisations (e.g. changes to Tomcat configuration, installation directory).  This should be preserved if you follow the upgrade instructions but worth knowing about in advance.

Just a few I can think of.  I would suggest upgrading in a test environment first.

And no - upgrading Jira will not affect your Confluence installation in any way!  That needs to be upgraded separately.

Jason Ferris February 4, 2020

@Joe Pitt I appreciate the reply and information!

@Pete Singleton  Thank you for the clarification. So, for viewing which plugins we have running, is this in Administration->System-Add-ons->Manage add-ons->User Installed?

We have some add ons that need updates. Some have a "Renew" next to them and some have "Update" I found under the installation history for the ones we can update and they seem to be compatible after updating with our current version. The ones that show renew, I'm not sure if we need them or not.? I would need a way to see if we use them before renewing. 

Are these typically OK to update on the fly or would updating these cause issues within the environment as well? 

I checked under SCRIPT RUNNER within Jira and I don't see anything under any of them (script console, script fragments etc). Does this mean we aren't using them?

JIRA WORKFLOW TOOLBOX - schedules but when I look there is nothing in there. 

JIRA SUITE UTILITIES - Configuration shows license expired - Unsure if its still used even if license is expired?

BEHAVIOURS - None setup. 

For Customizations I think default directory is slightly off but unaware of anything else for customizations. we have tickets and routing setup is that a customization or is that an out of box feature? 

I just found out our license needs to be renewed. For the add ons we think some of those were loaded but not in use on original install. If there is anyway to verify those are used that would be great. 

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

For the add-ons that you're not sure if you are using, unfortunately there is no easy way to determine if anyone is using them.  It depends on the app itself, you may be able to check the configuration to see if anything has been set up.  But for a lot of the apps there's just no way to tell.

For Script Runner, just having nothing under the console or fragments does not mean it's not being used, people may have defined scripts in workflows, custom fields etc.

Jira Suite Utilities - if the licence is expired then it can't be used, if nobody is complaining then it's probably not needed.  Useful addon though.

Behaviours - this is part of ScriptRunner.

Like Jason Ferris likes this
Jason Ferris February 12, 2020

@Pete Singleton Hi Pete, how can I tell under the "Custom Fields" if those were already there or if we created/modified them etc? This is under the "Issues" tab in Jira.  I'm documenting every single screen so I have it all documented for reference. I don't know how else to do this for the upgrade.

Jason Ferris February 12, 2020

@Pete Singleton  In addition Under Add-Ons and "User-Installed".  I have the one for Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA - Update Available - RENEW

App is available for update but your current license does not support it, renew to proceed.  I can "uninstall, disable or renew".  Does this mean its not being used since it's expired? License details show expires 4/10/18. But License status shows Valid... Or does this simply mean we have a valid license but it's expired and basically not working until you renew it? 

Then I have JIRA Suite Utilities that shows update available and "UPDATE"

Shows "Update/Buy Now/Uninstall or Disable" I'm confused at this as why would it let me update if it has a Buy Now option? License details show expired 9/6/17... and license status is expired. It's working in the environment but can't update unless we update/buy now? and it's an older version essentially? Is that what this is saying? 

Sorry for all the questions but some of these are confusing. 

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2020

Hi Jason, I can't comment on each of the individual addons, but if the licenses are expired then you will certainly need to renew before you can upgrade.  You could uninstall and reinstall with a trial licence for 30 days.  I would be surprised if the addons are still working if the licenses are expired.

Like Jason Ferris likes this
Jason Ferris February 13, 2020

@Pete Singleton  Thanks Pete. I loaded my server in a test environment to test some things first. I had Jira Suite Utilities noting it had an upgrade. But also the Buy Now. License was expired. I clicked update to see what it would do, it then looked like it was updating but it then disappeared from "User Installed Apps". Does this mean because it wasnt valid it removed itself from the view?  

Jason Ferris February 13, 2020

@Pete Singleton Ahh, I reset the page and now instead of being Jira Suite Utilities it's now called JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows. It's expired but installed. Guessing it's not active then. Trial expired. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

confluence is separate. Customizations would include any plugins you're using, which may also need to be updated to a new version. Some people modify JIRA source code (a bad idea in my opinion) that needs to be retrofitted. If you are using scripts they may or may not need to be updated for the new release. No one can point out your specific customizations we can just tell you were to look. If you aren't doing it, you should track every plugin, script, or source code modification so in the future anyone update JIRA will know where to look for the information. I've been supporting IT systems for over 30 years and lack of documentation can cause major problems when upgrading or needing to figure out what could be wrong if a problem arises

Suggest an answer